1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm having terrible problems with my session and post form heavy pages and I'm now experimenting with different ways of doing it.

I removed the session_start() I had at the top of every page, so that session_register() will have to live without it.

Nothing happens. It is exactly the same as before. What's the purpose of session_start()??

------------------

peterbe.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    session_register() will automatically start a session if session_start() hasn't been called. session_start() would be used if you need to access session variables but won't be registering any new variables or, more importantly, if the current page won't be accessing or registering any variables but session state needs to be maintained when linking to subsequent pages.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Correct me if I am wrong (very new to PHP) but it would seem that yes indeed you must call session_start() to maintain the session and to access var's that were set prior to the current page. I some how missed this and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a value from my session var's! Now I call session_start() on each page and all works well!

Kevin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rod k:
    session_register() will automatically start a session if session_start() hasn't been called. session_start() would be used if you need to access session variables but won't be registering any new variables or, more importantly, if the current page won't be accessing or registering any variables but session state needs to be maintained when linking to subsequent pages.[/quote]