1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

this is crazy...at first i could use my asp pages, and i couldn't use my php pages (of course, because php had not been installed yet). then, when i installed php i could use my php pages but not my asp pages. so, i uninstalled php and then could use my asp pages again. then, i tried once more to install php and run php pages, and could not run php pages OR asp pages. what bull****! for the past month i have tried numerous times to get php to work on my operating systems (win98 and winNT), but to no avail. every bundle out there claims to be the do-all and be-all of installations, but the truth is that none of them are nearly as easy to install as installing a Windows product. now, unless someone can convince me that nothing is really wrong on my system (yes, i have a clean install of my WinNT os that i am using now), that developing PHP and ASP pages on the same operating system should be no problem, then i will stick to my belief (and in agreement with a whole lot of other people) that PHP has a long way to go before it can convert ASP programmers over to PHP. please don't bother saying 'try my package, you shouldn't have any problems' because i have already been through that garbage. if you really know how to deal with this, then i will be glad to let you know of all the freaking error messages i am getting about this *.dll file and that *.dll file not being found. just rediculous.

thanks,

thomas

------------------
    in my dream i walked across the cobble bridge that covered a stream in a cemetary. dropping a penny in the water i went down the embankment beside the bridge, picked up the penny and died a poor man...
  3. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I've read your posts, and thought I'd share my point of view....
    I've done some development on NT/MS SQL/IIS/ASP, but I've converted myself into *nix/Apache/MySQL/PHP and use that almost all the time. But I've still got the M$ environment installed in case I want to more of that stuff. So my solution was dualboot (or actually 4 different OS). There are drawbacks with this, I agree, but for me there are more advantages with it so it's no big deal. It allows me to do what I want by choosing the environment when booting my systems.
    By doing this you could have two different installs of WinNT (or whatever), one with Apache/PHP, and the other with IIS/ASP. And there would be no conflicts between them...

This might not be suitable for you, but as I said, it's only my point of view...

/NoXcuz
  5. No Profile Picture

NoXcuz,

i do appreciate your point of view, it seems like it might be something i should do. what *nix are you using? i have both SuSE and BSD. SuSE seems so full of garbage i don't even know what to do next with it (i am new to Unix and Linux) and BSD?...well, it is just sitting on the shelf -- what a shame, considering how powerful people say that it is -- because i can't figure out how to get it installed.

but, still, there are people out there saying they are having no problems in getting PHP installed, and i am assuming that when they reboot their machines they can still program in and see their php pages through their browsers. so, what i am requesting is for someone who actually knows anything about IIS (NT Server) and the installation of PHP to please help me install PHP so that i can develop in both PHP << and >> ASP.

thankx,

Thomas Whalen
    thomaswhalen_family@hotmail.com

------------------
    in my dream i walked across the cobble bridge that covered a stream in a cemetary. dropping a penny in the water i went down the embankment beside the bridge, picked up the penny and died a poor man...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just couldn't pass up an opportunity like this to throw in my 2 cents.. hehe

Firstly, you have to actually tell people the problems you're having - eg error messages, before you go bagging the best thing that ever happened to the server-side internet.

Secondly, what BSD do you have? If it's FreeBSD, then it's way easy to install. If it's on cd, then it's even easier. The install system is the easiest you'll ever find - just answer yes/no, put some details in here and there and you're away and installed. Of course if it's not FreeBSD....

I admit I have never set up php on an MS system, but provide some more specific info and someone who has will be able to help.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

and where would one like ones JSP sir?

The bundle is meant to get people on win machines started, you only have to delete/edit things if you already have MySQL or PHP3 already installed.

The bundle while not perfect by any means got me and many others up and running.

That it is expected to know that you have IIS/ASP here there or anywhere is your problem, as #6 mentions a description of any errors would help some.

If you go to php.net they have lots of info on installing PHP/IIS I beleive there is a release especially configured for IIS, then when you find that that does not make the toast as well you can gripe some more.

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL
  11. No Profile Picture

Simon,

i have explained to the best of my knowledge what the problem is. there are no error messages. when you try to run an ASP page but the browser just hangs and doesn't throw an error message then i guess there just isn't an error message, now is there? and, no, this hanging doesn't result from bad code. i know how to program. the problem, whatever it is, started occuring after i got PHP running. so, the PHP community would like ASP programmers to switch to PHP? well, letting the programmer program in both environments and letting him figure out for himself or herself if it is the right transition for them to make is the right way to go about converting an ASP programmer to PHP, << NOT >> by taking away their environment to program in ASP so they are left with only PHP. i did not see a specific bundle for IIS on the www.php.net site. okay, you made a good suggestion about providing more information so that others can help me out. would you mind providing me with a more specific link to a PHP bundle for IIS?

Thank you,

Thomas Whalen

------------------
  13. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi again Thomas
    Out of curiosity I downloaded php for win32 and installed it on my NT4 running IIS. Works like a charm without me having to do anything special but answering the questions during installation and of course restart...
    I now can view both my asp-pages and my php-pages. This is the php I installed: http://www.php.net/do_download.php?d...te=www.php.net
    By the way I run my apache/php/mysql on SuSE too, and think highly of it, but that's really up to you.

/NoXcuz
  15. No Profile Picture

Have someone already tried to connect on NT4/IIS4/PHP4 from several computers at the same time?
    When I do, the server sometimes raise an error code 500 (intenal server error).
  17. No Profile Picture

NoXcuz,

well i installed my NT Server OS just like most everyone else does, so since you say you 'really' didn't have any problems getting PHP set up on your system, just for kicks i am downloading the installer from the link you posted on this site, to see if it 'really' works. i am not going to do anything special, just do what the average user would do with it. now, if an average user couldn't get this one set up, then i will respond by saying that it just isn't easy to set up.

thanx,

gumstic

------------------

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo