1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

what is the best way for me to get my NT Server machine (my OS at home, used for development, not on a network or anything) prepared for PHP, Apache and such? I have IIS4 installed. please, i don't want to remain stuck using ASP! i have been to the www.php.net site, but didn't see any clear-cut information on what i need to download in order to start coding in PHP, nor how to install whatever it is that i download.

thanks very much for any help.

thomas
    thomaswhalen_family@hotmail.com

------------------
    in my dream i walked across the cobble bridge that covered a stream in a cemetary. dropping a penny in the water i went down the embankment beside the bridge, picked up the penny and died a poor man...
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

all you need is a webserver and php !

PHP4/Apache/MySQL/phpMyAdmin bundled zip for windows @ http://www.firepages.com.au/bundle.php3

extract to c:/phpdev and you should be off

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL
  5. No Profile Picture

i was able to get php running on my NT Server OS, but now asp won't work. what gives? you mean to tell me that i can't use asp now? i hope it is something that i did wrong, because i followed the instructions explicitly. i think something was changed in IIS or something like that. i hope this isn't a case of one not being able to use ASP because PHP is being used. what i mean is having one browser open with a php page and another browser open with an asp page. do we have another Microsoft monopoly-like thing going on here? i sure like PHP, but my client wants ASP at the moment, so my hands are tied.

thanx,

thomas

------------------
    in my dream i walked across the cobble bridge that covered a stream in a cemetary. dropping a penny in the water i went down the embankment beside the bridge, picked up the penny and died a poor man...
  7. No Profile Picture

oh, and is it necesary to run Apache server on a NT Server OS in order to use PHP? if not, then what is Apache server used for?

thanx,

thomas

------------------
  9. No Profile Picture

does anyone out there actually have a package that performs a clean install of PHP and such? firepages' php bundle seems to be full of 'delete this' or 'edit that'. isn't there any way to make a bundle that truly installs cleanly and actually sets up a environment sufficient for allowing a php developer to use MySQL and other php stuff? i am not giving up, but PHP is becoming nothing more than a nuisance to me. here i am wasting my time trying to get php and the other necessary evils installed on my system, when i have an ASP client waiting on my work from me.

------------------
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> you mean to tell me that i can't use asp now?

Of course you can.

>> is it necesary to run Apache server on a NT Server OS in order to use PHP?

No, you can run php on IIS as well. If you're running in a production environment, you shouldn't really be using apache on windows anyway - use IIS (as evil as it sounds) it will run faster. Until apache 2.0 is stable, IIS on windows is your best bet.

It sounds to me like you're trying to run IIS and Apache at once... that's not going to happen (with your basic installs and configs anyway).

Install php on IIS.

Josh
  13. No Profile Picture

i am not trying to run Apache on Nt Server...what i want to do is run both ASP an PHP files on my NT Server machine at home....right now i can view my PHP pages, but NOT my ASP pages...why is that? when i try to view my ASP pages the browser just hangs, as if the server is getting caught in a loop or is hung up on a task or something, but PHP pages run fine....
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Download the dist of php for win

Copy the php4ts.dll to your windows system32 directory

Copy and rename the php.ini-dist to php.ini and place it in your windows diretory

Start IIS manager and right click on default website select properties go to the home directory tab and add an app mapping with the extension of .php and map it to the php.exe file that came in the distro. check script engine. Restart your computer.
  17. No Profile Picture

freddy,

what about the other dll's that come in this distribution package you are talking about? where do they go?...does this mean i will be able to view both ASP << and >> PHP pages?

gumstic
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The other dlls that come are for other server APIs and the isapi dll is the one people suggets you use with php on NT with IIS, but it is horribly unstable that is why I said to map it the exe file in the root of the php dist not the one in the sapi folder, because running it in CGI mode on NT is way more stable, you can load a few modules if you want but beaware that a few of them will crash you system. Just for tersting in php.ini file make sure there is a semi-colon in front of every extension, so you will not load any. Then try running the php and see if that helps.
  21. No Profile Picture

freddy,

do i need to be concerned with those 'other' modules you are talking about? all i want to be able to do is code in PHP to do the same things i would do in ASP, and work with databases(mySQL ?). which extensions do i comment out in the php.ini file? this is becoming a huge headache, with everyone suggesting a different way to set up PHP. but, really, you have been very helpful to me, in that you are explaining WHY this has to be done, not just "go in this direction, but don't forget your flashlight". i spent all day trying to get SuSE set up the way i like it...'try' is the keyword for me, since i am new to Unix/Linux. i would love to know where PHP is located on SuSE and how to get SuSE set up so that i can start working with PHP in Linux. maybe one day i can get my PHP skills up to the level of my ASP skills, then i can just market my PHP skills to new clients, start doing their applications on PHP-enabled-NON-Linux servers.

gumstic

------------------
  23. No Profile Picture

i meant "NON-Windows servers"...sorry

gumstic

------------------
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The PHP4 binary comes with Mysql support compiled in so it would be safe to say that you could comment out all of the module(dlls) in the php.ini file.
  27. No Profile Picture

freddy,

i downloaded one of the packages (an automatic installer), that had been updated from the first time i downloaded it. this time it asked which server i was using, so i selected IIS (i think that was an option), installed and boom! it works! i tried all sorts of things to see if it wouldn't work, like having an asp page and php page open, and refreshing each page. i shut down IIS completely and brought it back and the pages still worked. i rebooted the machine, bought IIS back up and the pages still worked.

so, thanks a lot for the help. now i can rest at peace and -- ironically enough -- finish an ASP project for a client.

thanks again, and thanks to the others that offered their help.

Thomas Whalen

------------------

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo