1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What programming language is most beneficial to learn for the future?

Currently, I have skills in web development - xhtml, css, javascript, jquery, php, mysql, sqlserver, oracle, etc.

I have a bit of knowledge in C++/C# but wondered how much do big companies like Amazon, Google use C# or C++ ? Are these "futuristic" languages that will push through for the next 30 years like they already have or are they being phased out by web languages?

Please give me your experience and thoughts.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Fortran and Cobol are 50 years old. They're still used extensively. Visual Basic is 15 years old. It's dead.

Pick the languages based on how powerful they seem, not which companies are using them. Google uses whatever gets the job done (mostly C and Python).

PHP is a very easy language to learn, is very powerful, and scales quite well. That's why major social networks are written in PHP.

You also asked this question in the PHP section, so I wonder what kind of answers you'll get...

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Headless Moderator

PHP IS THE BEST LANGAGE EVER YOU DONT NEED STUF LIKE DOTNET OR SEE CUZ THEY SUCK

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees
    • Joseph Taylor agrees : Hehe
  7. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by requinix
    PHP IS THE BEST LANGAGE EVER YOU DONT NEED STUF LIKE DOTNET OR SEE CUZ THEY SUCK
    remind me again what the PHP interpreter is written in?
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  9. Headless Moderator

Originally Posted by Northie
    remind me again what the PHP interpreter is written in?
    PHP DUH THATS WHY ITS CALLED A RECURSION LANGAGE

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : I wish I could rep you twice.
    • NotionCommotion agrees : Requinix, that was funny. Dan, got your back.
    • angrypanda agrees : LOL Awesome.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Multiple core processors are, or will be common place. Also, cloud computing is being touted to be the next big thing. So, languages that make multi-thread programming and/or distributed programming easier might be of use. You can check out Scala and Erlang.

Having said that, as with everything else in life, you can never be sure of what will happen in future. Just pick up something and hope things work out as you expect. If they don't, you'll have earned some knowledge
    Why do we always seek someone, something or some thought? Are we afraid of ourselves?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by srisa
    If they don't, you'll have earned some knowledge
    And probably a whole lot of frustration along with it... ;-)
  15. c0der
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I remember hearing Peter Norvig say that Google uses a lot of C++, because that was what the first batch of engineers were most competent with. I don't see C# with all its Windows baggage fitting in at either Google or Amazon, for reasons infrastructural as well as cultural.

I don't know what the language of the future is. Check out a site like Rosetta Code or Lambda The Ultimate to get a feel for the contenders. At Rosetta Code, the Haskell solutions tend towards elegance, and the language seems to do well in programming competitions.

I know a little about the languages of the present. Python is fairing well. It is an overall clean language with nice features, solid libraries, and high level of readability, making it a great choice for a team. Google makes heavy use of it. Python has built up enough steam through industry use to remain relevant for decades to come, and in my opinion it is the most likely to supplant Java as king of the mainstream languages.
    Last edited by Joseph Taylor; December 8th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
  17. Sarcky

For the last 30 years, languages have been becoming more and more like Lisp. Arc is a special dialect of Lisp that's especially powerful.

Now, the problem is: Will anyone use it? Lisp (Arc) is arguably the most powerful language in history, but you've never heard of it.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo