1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Search a list of files for key words

I have a series of files that I have to search for certain key words. I have the key words in a mysql table and have the file path/name in another table. Is there a way to search for the key words, looping through each file and then looping through each key word and when a match is found write the file name and key word to a mysql table?
    The files I want to search are imap email files and need to search them for key words. I didn't know if using grep was possible or just using strpos after getting the file contents would be adequate.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I'd say using 'preg_grep' would be the easiest way. Read each file into an array using explode with new line character as the delimiter then check it with 'preg_grep').
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by gw1500se
    I'd say using 'preg_grep' would be the easiest way. Read each file into an array using explode with new line character as the delimiter then check it with 'preg_grep').
    From what I've read preg_grep uses a regex pattern for the match. Could you give me a code example using it with a file and how to use the explode function.

Thanks,
    Tom

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo