1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Locating database in software

Hey everyone,

I just purchased software for a project I am working on but I cannot seem to locate the "MySQL/Database" in the software. I tried contacting my provider but he is temporarily out of office and I would like to get this solved ASAP. Does anyone know where it can be located within the files or if there is another name that it may be saved under?

I appreciate the help! Thanks!

Peace.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Based on the wording of your question I'm going to assume that you don't know what MySQL is.

MySQL is a database server; similar to how Apache is a web server, except instead of serving web pages, MySQL serves data. A software package that relies on a MySQL database would provide either an installer to populate the MySQL database or a SQL dump file to populate the MySQL database, but it wouldn't include the actual MySQL database server software as it assumes you already have a MySQL server set up and running (a safe assumption to make).

Virtually all web hosts that support PHP provide at least one MySQL database. If you're running the code locally or on your own server, you can download and install a MySQL server for free.

You need a username and password to connect to a MySQL server. These are either provided to you by the administrator of the MySQL server, or created by you if you are the administrator.

Before installing the application you'll need to create a database. This is rarely done by the installer or SQL dump because non-privileged MySQL user accounts of the type you would use for web based software are rarely given permission to create databases. The exact procedure for doing this depends on the hosting environment where your MySQL server is located.

If the software provides a raw SQL dump, you can either load it into the database using the command line mysql client or using a graphical tool like PhpMyAdmin. If it provides an installer, the installer will ask you for your connection details and will load the MySQL database itself. Installers are more common, but which the software provides is impossible for us to tell you; hopefully it came with installation instructions that explain that.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo