1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Grid/Chart/Database/Graph Question

Hi All,

This is my first post in Dev Shed Forums so please do forgive me if I am posting in the wrong category. Thank you in advance for any help you may give me.

I am currently learning PHP/MYSQL and I have been learning by tinkering around making small projects and now I have a problem that I don't know how to solve so I was hoping maybe a PHP community could lead me in the right direction.

I am trying to simulate a T.V. Guide. One that is scalable, can accept data from a database in MySql, Has a row down the left side for Channels, has Time slots across the top, and Rows that Hold the T.V. programs in the appropriate time slot next to the appropriate channel. Exactly like Dish Network or Comcast has their TV guide screen set up. I also want it to be able to go weeks or even months ahead in time. I am stumped as to where to even start. I've googled graphs and charts in php but nothing that really makes it "click". Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can I do this entirely in PHP MYSql or do I need some other kind of language to help me?

Thanks In Advance!
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

"Graphs" and "charts" are more about visualizations of numeric data. All you need is a simple table.

Hmm... Well yes, you can do this entirely in PHP and MySQL (so long as you include HTML, CSS, and potentially Javascript in that list).

I think the best place for you to start is with HTML. Make a demo HTML page that contains dummy data. Nothing dynamic, just the straight HTML. Then style it with CSS so that it looks the way you want. Then, should you wish, add Javascript so that the page does stuff.
    After you get that done you can add PHP to it. Incrementally. Get the data into an array or something purely PHP and put that into the table. Then introduce a database and get the data from that instead.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by requinix
    "Graphs" and "charts" are more about visualizations of numeric data. All you need is a simple table.

Hmm... Well yes, you can do this entirely in PHP and MySQL (so long as you include HTML, CSS, and potentially Javascript in that list).

I think the best place for you to start is with HTML. Make a demo HTML page that contains dummy data. Nothing dynamic, just the straight HTML. Then style it with CSS so that it looks the way you want. Then, should you wish, add Javascript so that the page does stuff.
    After you get that done you can add PHP to it. Incrementally. Get the data into an array or something purely PHP and put that into the table. Then introduce a database and get the data from that instead.
    Thank You so much, I'm still very new to HTML PHP MYSQL and I have done some Java. You wouldn't happen to have a favorite HTML Resource besides random googling would you?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo