1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Integrated credit and payment system

Hey guys,
    This question is kind of client and kind of server based. Basically what I want to build for my site is a way for users to be able to receive points (which is valued the same as the dollar). To purchase items on the site, the user can use up to 50% of their points on an item and the rest they have to pay with cash.

eg. There is a power adapter that is valued at $50 and users can use up to 30 points to purchase the item. They can buy the item for 30 points and $20 cash, or 0 points and $50 cash or anything in between.

I'm thinking of using PayPal for the payment handling. So far as I know, you click on a generated link and it sends you to the Paypal payment site. So I have a few questions on how to do this.

1) What language and database type should I use if I want this be an integrated payment and membership system (ie. It automatically docks credit from user account)?
    2) How do I generate the link dynamically so that the payment amount can be made on the fly and the points are automatically deducted from the user's credit?
    3) What would be the best webhost for this?
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1. Since you're asking in the PHP forum we're going to tell you to use PHP and MySQL*. If you asked in the .NET forum they'd tell you to use C#.NET** and SQL Server.

2. PayPal has a few ways of doing things. The way I would suggest involves their IPN: you send the user to PayPal, they pay, then PayPal sends a request to your server indicating the user paid (and some information about that). When you send the user there, via a form, you have to include the price to bill for. Any price. When PayPal calls you back you finish processing - including deducting the points and delivering the product.

3. Depends. I say avoid GoDaddy because they suck, but otherwise it's up to you. Consider entering the cloud, like with Amazon.

* Nobody uses PostgreSQL.
    ** Nobody uses VB.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm looking into Magento Go, do you guys know if its any good or not?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo