1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Admin editable portfolio

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have been searching google plenty and no matter how I ask it I cannot find what I am looking for. Ok enough babbling, I am building a site for my Dad to serve as his reference guide for jobs and for freelancing. The particular part I am interested in is his portfolio. I am wondering how to start a script that will allow him and only him to edit his portfolio so that I don't have to go back in the code and add more code every time he wants to make a change. So, I would be looking for something that will allow him to move, delete, re size, categorize, label his portfolio. In no way am I asking for you to code this for me or anything of that sort. I am just asking maybe where to look or even a starting point. I have some knowledge of PHP, and have HTML and CSS knowledge. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

To make his data dynamic you will need to rewrite your code. Rather than hard code the information you will need to maintain it in a database (probably MySQL). You can start here.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for the reply. Ok that solves the issue of everything being dynamic but still does not cover how to make it be able to move, delete, re size, categorize, label the images.
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Not to put too fine a point on it: you do it in code.

Everything you want to change must be an application that allows that data to be changed. Label a picture? Put the label in a database, make an "edit" button on the page, make an editable input box, process that input, and update the database.

Rinse and repeat for everything.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I am sorry if I was to annoying or anything like that. That gives me an idea how to do, yes thank you again.
  11. Sarcky

If you don't know how to program in a server-side language (PHP, perl, python, C#, ASP, Java, or Ruby), you should learn. I recommend PHP, though Python is more user friendly.

The O'Reilly books (white with blue/aqua titles) are great learning tools.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I actually know some php and mysql and can always ask around on google if I get stuck which is mostly how I learned everything I do know.
  15. Sarcky

Well this is the place to ask. but you need to start something before you can really have a question we can answer. Get some code written, and then if you get stuck on a problem, post the code here.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo