1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Pulling MySQL data directly into an object

This may be a stupid question, but I gotta know.

I've seen some people pulling MySQL info directly into a PHP object. Is this standard practice? Should it be done that way? I've always just used the results in associative array form.

What's best practice here?
    Laterna Studio - Animation, Web Design, Video Production and Print Design

Psalm 73: 25-26
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You mean like with mysql_fetch_object()? Or with a dedicated class and stuff?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, I've always done something along the lines of this:

PHP Code:
    $stmt $db->prepare('SELECT * FROM `mytable` WHERE `id` = :id');
    $stmt->execute(array(':id' => $id));
    $results $stmt->fetchAll(); 
    Which, of course, yields a 2D array, the first level being the result number and the second layer being an associative array of the fields.

And I've always just sort of used the results like that--in array form. I've heard of people using PDO to pull directly into classes. I guess I'm just wondering what the "best practice" is for this sort of thing.

7. Put a potato on it!

I think it largely depends on what you're more comfortable with and how you set up your project. If your project is OOP, then you would pull the data into an object. If it's non-OOP (probably a word for this) then an array will work as well.

I've worked on projects that do both, OOP projects that create arrays when data gets retrieved from the database and ones that pull it into an object. I personally don't like dealing with arrays more than I have to, I end up having trouble with them once they get multi-dimensional which is easy to do when you're pulling from the database, so I prefer storing data in an object.

I will say from my experience it seems like bigger projects are easier to follow when things are in objects and not arrays, but again, I don't like arrays.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay, sounds good.

Any experience with pull data directly into a dedicated class? Do people do this much, or have I just misunderstood people about this?

11. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's not pulling "directly" into the class: you get the data normally, via an array or object, and then copy the data into the class.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo