1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

About to upload new version of a website, what is the check list?

Hello;

Just finished rebuilding a massive website from asp to php. What should we check before uploading the site to the server?

Thanks
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is the version of php you used on your local machine the up to date the live server version?

Are forms protected from XSS and mysql injections.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

First I make sure I have all backups of the existing site that I'd need to quickly restore the site to it's current state, in case something goes very wrong with the update.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Are you uploading to the same location on the same server, or are you doing it to a new hosting account in a different location or on a different server? Seeing that you're moving form ASP to PHP it seems logical that you're changing servers, but you never know.

If it's the same server and same account, then back up everything twice and have that ready for if (when) something goes wrong. Then get ready for some good hard-core debugging when something doesn't work the same on the production server. I've had that happen a few times so far and it can get very frustrating.

If it's a different server then it's going to be easier, just don't delegate the domain name to the new server until you're finished your full install and checking. Set up the new site and change the hosts file (if youre PC there is running Windows) to point the sites domain name to the IP address of the new server. This will point you and only you to that server and you can test the new site out as much as you need to to ensure that it's working properly. When you're done, delegate the domain to the new location, remove the entry from your hosts file and wait for it to propagate.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

i would have both sites up and running parallel.(i.e. a proper site and a demo/test site with PHP). Once that test site is working properly you can move/copy everything to the proper site)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo