1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Over-ramping and unnecessary changes?

New guy just came aboard and started rewriting base-level architecture and said we needed it or we'd be screwed down the line. I didn't think we needed it at the time and that we could build it later, but he said he wouldn't code to our level. Our boss told us not to change that stuff, to do it after release, but suddenly switched gears after the new guy sweet-talked. The changes aren't bad, they're just unnecessary right now and appear to even be higher level than we'll need for a while, and the other developer has never worked with this kind of code. I think if someone at a lower or higher level like this would have come in, he would have done it at his level and said the same thing, regardless of need or requirements. None of the changes were on the requirements list, we're behind schedule, and now we have to change our code to fit his. I wouldn't even consider it the best practice on some of it; more like preference or taste. I'm afraid we're going to be ramping too fast and causing more maintenance than we need to work with right now.

Can anybody give me their thoughts and experience with this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well, if ur just looking for opinionated responses, I would say if something is written in PHP, then you may want to make sure things stay updated, as things do get removed as newer releases come out. It does sound me may be pushing it a bit farther than truely needed, though, especially if the company doesn't keep their PHP release updated. Are you looking for any kinda of help with this?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Triple_Nothing
    Well, if ur just looking for opinionated responses, I would say if something is written in PHP, then you may want to make sure things stay updated, as things do get removed as newer releases come out. It does sound me may be pushing it a bit farther than truely needed, though, especially if the company doesn't keep their PHP release updated. Are you looking for any kinda of help with this?
    The issue isn't the PHP version; it's the code architecture. I was just looking for some opinion on this situation as I've seen it before in younger developers that insisted on doing things their way but not like this.
  7. No Profile Picture

PHP and database versioning

We used to make db changes live (on a staging server) then export to localhost (especially since we are testing migrations and imports), but a new guy diverged and wrote his own .sql files recording his changes, but we're not sure which version of the db they're supposed to be run on because nobody was versioning the db. We hacked it all together, but instead of just writing new files for new .sql changes, he's also gone back and modified old files (which had timestamps in their name) so now they can't be run in sequence and I have to dig through the commit diffs and run the changes manually using different queries.

I built an automated scrubber file that lets you just plug in new files, but his modified files break that system. He's now saying he won't use it (too complicated he says now, even though I explained it before and he said he got it and would use it) and is now switching to CakePHP on his own box, and says we can't use it because it isn't finished yet. So now he's creating migration files for his own changes on his own box while we're left in chaos either making our own changes on the staging box or creating/modifying "migration" files that have no system and can't be versioned... it's total chaos.

Can someone give me advice on this?

If we use his system, we would have to start at a certain version of the database and throw away his Cake migration files or integrate our changes with them... is that even possible or feasible?! I don't want to be chained to one guy's way of doing it because he's unwilling to try anything else, even if it was better than the way he was doing it before or it's a good middle-ground until we get a proper system in place, which now may be chaotic. How is this supposed to be done? What should be said if he insists we move the earth to his spot in space?
  9. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Why are you following the whims of this new guy? He's killing you. Make him follow your processes, or sit down with him to discuss changing the processes (and how best to do that), or get rid of him.
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You need two things:

1. A soft, calming voice
    2. A big stick

If he can't work the way that the rest of the company does, then he needs to be pulled into line.
  13. Sarcky

So wait, a new guy came into a behind-schedule project and started ADDING work to everyone's plate? Tell your boss that the new guy's new way of doing things adds X months to your release date. Do not let the boss hold you to the original release date if he authorized this new core architecture.

Rewriting core architecture is usually a good thing, I tend to do it when I join a new company as well. I don't do it when the project is behind schedule and there are only 2 other devs and both have to be retrained.

There's probably more to it than the "preference" you mentioned, I bet the new architecture does have some structural advantages, but that's no excuse for delaying an immediate project for a longer-term goal.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  15. Sarcky

I combined your two threads into one since they're about the same guy doing the same dumb things. My above response was about his code changes.

As for his DB work, now he's just doing it wrong. If he came in as your new boss, go over his head and complain that the process is being broken and he's creating unnecessary work. If he came in as your equal, tell him that's not the way things are done around here and you should meet as a team to discuss changes like blowing away timestamped files. If he came in as your subordinate, tell him to cut it out or he's fired.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo