1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Drupal modules that need OTHER modules...

I'm learning how to use Drupal for obvious reasons. I've been tasked with looking into modules. I thought, "How hard could it be?"

I decided to head off the beaten track a bit - instead of sticking with the module given to me, I went off and grabbed one named profile2 just for the heck of it. I put it on the server, no problem. I go to install it and it won't let me...it's missing 2 or 3 other modules. Mmkay.

I go off and find Entity, download it, put it on the server, and move to install it. I can't. It's missing Entity_reference or some such nonsense.

Now, since I'm just playing around, I'm not actually being paid to do this and I don't run the risk of falling behind schedule tracking down 237 modules to get the one module I wanted working, so I laughed it off. But...is this just how modules work in Drupal? My roommate has been learning Drupal and she said she once installed 13 other modules before she quit and uninstalled them all.

Is there seriously no way around this? It seems horribly inefficient and I've tried to figure out if I'm missing something but so far, I'm drawing a blank. Do I just gotta keep tracking down whatever modules I'm missing? There's no way to like...pick a module and have all required modules just come with it?...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

As far as I know, there is no way around that from within the Drupal admin panel. However, I have not actually used D7 before, so I could be wrong. I believe the command line tool 'drush' has a feature somewhat like this, but I have never used drush either.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Some modules include drush make scripts, which download dependencies for you. But that is about it. You are pretty much stuck with downloading dependencies manually. This is still better than handcoding them yourself

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo