1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Storing sqlsrv_fetch_array problem!!!

Hi, can someone tell me how to store the arrays retrieved frm a database using sqlsrv_fetch_array to a variable? say for example this is my script:

echo $email;
    $sql_int="SELECT item FROM Inventory WHERE user_email = '$email'";
    $resultint = sqlsrv_query($conn,$sql_int);
    $sql_loo="SELECT item FROM Looking WHERE user_email = '$email'";
    $resultloo = sqlsrv_query($conn,$sql_loo);
    print_r( sqlsrv_errors());
    while($row_int = sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultint)){
    echo $row_int['item'];
    }

$row_loo = array();
    while($row_loo = sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultloo)){
    echo $row_loo['item'];

}

$row_loo = sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultloo);
    echo $row_loo['item'];

$sql="SELECT user_email FROM Inventory WHERE item = '$row_loo'";
    $resulmat = sqlsrv_query($conn,$sql);

while($row = sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultmat)){
    echo $row['user_email'];

i am getting an error that says the underlined script, has null resource. I knw the problem is in the bold line. $row_loo doesnt have a value. The value is supposed to come frm the blue coloured lines. For some reason, it does echo the values, but outside of the loop the variable is empty. so i added another line ( the red one)outside the loop to fetch array values again, but its still not working. can someone help? I tried echoing some of the values to test and see if they are working by the ways.Thanks in advance. Still a newbie.
    Oh by the way, the code is working fine up until the end of the blue lines. The problem with the script starts from the red lines to the bottom.
  3. Jealous Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

- In the blue lines you will grab every single row from $resultloo that there is. That means after the loop there won't be any more rows, and thus the red sqlsrv_fetch_array() won't return anything. Rethink what you're doing.

- $row_loo will be an array, so in the bold line you should get an "Array to string conversion" warning (you don't because $row_loo is null). Just like you used $row_loo['item'] in the blue, you need to do the same in the bold.

- The underlined line uses $resultmat but a couple lines up you typoed the variable name as "$resulmat".
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    - In the blue lines you will grab every single row from $resultloo that there is. That means after the loop there won't be any more rows, and thus the red sqlsrv_fetch_array() won't return anything. Rethink what you're doing.

- $row_loo will be an array, so in the bold line you should get an "Array to string conversion" warning (you don't because $row_loo is null). Just like you used $row_loo['item'] in the blue, you need to do the same in the bold.

- The underlined line uses $resultmat but a couple lines up you typoed the variable name as "$resulmat".
    Requinix thanks a million!!!! Prob solved but only one thing though, the while loop for resultmat is not displaying anything. $resultmat is no longer null, i echoed it and it displayed something like resource id8# but the only thing is the while loop thtas supposed to show the resultmat data is not working for some reason. any ideas? i tried checking the table and database, it has entries and data in them, so it shud definitely work by right.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kumsan
    Requinix thanks a million!!!! Prob solved but only one thing though, the while loop for resultmat is not displaying anything. $resultmat is no longer null, i echoed it and it displayed something like resource id8# but the only thing is the while loop thtas supposed to show the resultmat data is not working for some reason. any ideas? i tried checking the table and database, it has entries and data in them, so it shud definitely work by right.

SO to check if the query actually worked, i added
    if(sqlsrv_has_rows($resultmat)){
    echo '1';
    }
    and guess what it didnt display echo 1.
  9. Jealous Moderator

11. No Profile Picture

So what's your revised code now?
    echo $email;
    $sql_int="SELECT item FROM Inventory WHERE user_email = '$email'";
    $resultint = sqlsrv_query($conn,$sql_int);
    $sql_loo="SELECT item FROM Looking WHERE user_email = '$email'";
    $resultloo = sqlsrv_query($conn,$sql_loo);

while($row_int = sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultint)){
    echo $row_int['item'];
    }

while($row_loo = sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultloo)){
    echo $row_loo['item'];
    }

echo'will';
    $sql="SELECT user_email FROM Inventory WHERE item = '$row_loo[item]'";
    $resultmat = sqlsrv_query($conn,$sql);
    if(sqlsrv_has_rows($resultmat)){
    echo 'success';
    }

while($row = sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultmat)){
    echo $row['user_email'];
    echo 'willer';
    }

?>

so the dark red part does not echo success. and the green line echoes nothing, not even the willer. by teh way, when i echoed resultmat, it says smtg like resource id8#. so i am guessing that the resultmat does return a values as i am no longer getting any error that its null.
    I check my databse many many times and i am very sure that there are datas that it shud match and display.
  13. Jealous Moderator

It goes back to what I said before about the while loop. During the loop $row_loo will be an array with values, but eventually sqlsrv_fetch_array() will return null and the loop will exit.

After the loop $row_loo is always null.

Find your php.ini and set
    Code:
    display_errors = on
    error_reporting = -1
    Then restart the web server and try your script. You will see warning messages.
  15. No Profile Picture

It goes back to what I said before about the while loop. During the loop $row_loo will be an array with values, but eventually sqlsrv_fetch_array() will return null and the loop will exit.

After the loop $row_loo is always null.

Find your php.ini and set
    Code:
    display_errors = on
    error_reporting = -1
    Then restart the web server and try your script. You will see warning messages.
    Do you have any suggestion how to overcome this. i understand now why i am getting this error. so lets say i want to compare row_loo with values from another database. can i just remove the first while loop and just have a statement that says: $row_loo=sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultmat);
    after that i just use row_loo to retrieve data from another table. this means i will nt echo the row_loo values using the while loop?
  17. Jealous Moderator

19. No Profile Picture

managed to solve it.:)

$c=1;
    while($row=sqlsrv_fetch_array($resultmat,SQLSRV_FETCH_ARRAY)){

$variablename = 'loo_email' . $c;
    $$variablename = $resultloo_row['user_email'];
    $c++;

}

thats what i did. so it saves the values from the query as $loo_email1,$loo_email2,$loo_email3....... This is basically what i wanted. Thanks guys.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo