1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP Devs... favorite MVC framework?

need something lightweight but with good support... hows Zend 2?

other thoughts: CakePHP, Symfony, Codeigniter

any recommendations?

Looking for something thats not too bloated.. for a site of about 1500-5000 uniques a day with a lot of emailing/mysql updates. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

CodeIgniter is the framework I prefer.

Zend framework is not a lightweight framework in any sense of the word.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Sarcky

We use Symfony2 at my current company. Though again, none of these items are lightweight.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    We use Symfony2 at my current company. Though again, none of these items are lightweight.
    I mean I know most are bloated but for the size of my site, would it really make any difference? I assume the difference is negligible in terms of speed as long as the code is efficient.

Am I wrong in this thinking?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

The difference is likely negligible in your case; however, you specifically asked for something that was lightweight.

In my opinion, CodeIgniter is a fairly lightweight framework, even in absolute terms.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. Transforming Moderator

IMO they're all bloated. But by design. Frameworks should be able to help you do whatever you need so the most popular ones will have the most features. As such I would measure "efficiency" and whether one is "lightweight" by the degree of coupling (ie, how many classes/functions/files it takes to do something).

I did a stint with ZF and hated it. Except for a handful of parts, everything relied on everything else and you couldn't separate one logical part from another. (Been so long I don't have concrete examples.)
    Can't speak for the others but I've heard good things of Symfony and Cake.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There are always pros and cons with frameworks, they are suitable for specific users but not for all. You need to understand what your application requires before choosing a framework. It also depends on your coding convention and skills.
  15. Sarcky

Originally Posted by requinix
    As such I would measure "efficiency" and whether one is "lightweight" by the degree of coupling (ie, how many classes/functions/files it takes to do something).
    To that end: To draw a single database field on a single Symfony page requires the opening of:

1 template file
    1 controller file
    5 controller base files
    7 database table files
    EVERY translation and linking file in the current project (2 in this example, 300+ for my company)
    ~6 filtration, validation, and i/o scrubbing files
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    IMO they're all bloated. But by design. Frameworks should be able to help you do whatever you need so the most popular ones will have the most features. As such I would measure "efficiency" and whether one is "lightweight" by the degree of coupling (ie, how many classes/functions/files it takes to do something).

I did a stint with ZF and hated it. Except for a handful of parts, everything relied on everything else and you couldn't separate one logical part from another. (Been so long I don't have concrete examples.)
    Can't speak for the others but I've heard good things of Symfony and Cake.
    Great response thank you. I never thought about looking at it from that angle ("degree of coupling") but that seems to make the most sense.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo