1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

PHP vs JAVA vs SQL

I am in a situaiton I could use some advice from both programmers and business runners.

I am a mid level programmer in Australia. Average level of practical knowledge of PHP, MySql, OOP (Codeigniter), html, css and Jquery.

My brother works for Google in NY. He is 6 years younger than (he's 25) me and he is making 130.000 a year plus bonuses.

I will be relocating there within next 6-12 months and I get a chance to be interviewed as a programmer.

As that is a real gig, I am going to have to improve my skill before I go there.

I wonder which one to focus on:

1 - SQL. Get my query writting to the next level.
    2 - PHP OOP. Master oop via php
    3 - Start Java and do my best in 6 months!
    5 - Jquery
    6 - All at the same time.

He told me today, as you are good with backend (database driven sites) focus on Java; backend programmer with no Java skills would be very hard to sell.

Please share your recommendations.

Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up

Well, given that your best source is your brother who's inside, he's going to be able to give you the most worthwhile recommendations. So, get all the inside info you can from him!

Since you said you have no experience working with Java, I would start there. You really already have the skills since you are familiar with object-oriented programming, but you'll want to get acquainted with the Java API and what is used most frequently.

If you haven't done so, I'd recommend checking out the w3schools.com certification program as giving them a certificate(s) adds more value to you as a potential hire.

If possible (within 6 months ), you may want to look into Java Certification , too. That, coupled along with SQL and a back-end skillset is in great demand. You'll be hired in no time, even in this rotting economy.

This may be off-topic, but I think Google is headed in a non-humanitarian direction. They are infringing on people's privacy more and more as they take over the internet (I believe they may have been slapped with some recent lawsuits over this? Not sure.), but, hey, as long as you are aware that they are tracking people more and more.

**new users not allowed to post links, wanted to send you to some links**

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : A w3schools "certificate"? Seriously?
  5. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by etidd
    **new users not allowed to post links, wanted to send you to some links**
    Just make them not look like links: www dot google dot com /whatever and such.

And +1 to the whole "dude your brother works there just ask him what you should study" thing.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Might I add that SEO (search engine optimization) as well as web analytics skills will probably give you a boost? That's practically Google's bread 'n butter!
  9. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by etidd
    If you haven't done so, I'd recommend checking out the w3schools.com certification program as giving them a certificate(s) adds more value to you as a potential hire.
    Dude, are you serious? That site is a running gag amongst web developers. If you turn up at a company with a "w3schools certificate" in your hands, I fear they'll actually burst into laughter. This is like applying for a job at the CIA with some toy badge from the Mickey Mouse detective club.

Just out of curiousity: How did you come to this idea? Do you actually have a w3schools certificate?

Comments on this post

• Strider64 agrees
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, I was thinking about doing some of their tests myself, but obviously it seems to be way overrated.
  13. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Yes, to say the least. The value of a certificate depends on whether the institution is generally accepted as an authority. But w3schools has no recognition whatsoever -- to the contrary. They are known for wrong and outdated information. But obviously they've gained some popularity with a fancy website and by making people believe they're an "official" organisation of the W3C (which they are not, this is a private Norwegian company).

So I strongly suggest checking out an institution before you get a certificate from them (or tell others to do it). A quick glance at the Wikipedia article would have been enough to reveal that w3schools is rather ... controversial.

Personally, I'm very sceptical about certificates in general. In my experience, they don't carry a lot of weight in web development -- well, maybe in the Java world or in very big companies.

Comments on this post

• etidd agrees : Wow. Good to know.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

All of them are useful skills.

If you're hoping to land a specific job, then practice the skills that would be most useful for that job.

If you don't have a specific job in mind, then practice the skills that will land you the job you most want to have.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo