1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Multiple Checkbox Row in If Else Condition for Once elemnt

I have total 6 checkboxs for 6 pages ( not group but individual ) and storing state in separate table row with own key and value.

I have a function like in WordPress get_option() to get value for the checkbox and things are working fine for single condition.

I have one html element and I want to activate that only on selected pages ( selected checkboxes ). This I can do with below statement.

PHP Code:
    if(get_option('chkeckbox1') == true){
    //display my element
    }
    if(
    get_option('chkeckbox2') == true){
    //display my element
    }
    if(
    get_option('chkeckbox3') == true){
    //display my element

But this is obviously not right way to do. I am looking some way where I can get this in such a way where I have to define only one statement something like in_array() or anything else.

Can anyone hlep me to get this done?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Since you did not post it, it is hard to say without knowing what 'get_option' does. You asked about in_array but I don't see an array in your code. Are you planning to eliminate the function and turn it into an array? Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking, that seems like a move in the right direction.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

And after your if() items, is the coding going to be the same for each one? If not, a loop wouldn't be your best way to go, since you are doing nothing alike.

If the content within the 'then' of the if() IS going to be the same, then foreach() would probaly be in interest. But, with a checkbox, keep in mind that these aren't really true/false items. They pass through pretty much as true if a user selects one, but if the user does NOT select it, then it straight out doesn't exist. So, when checking condition, use the isset() function.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by gw1500se
    Since you did not post it, it is hard to say without knowing what 'get_option' does. You asked about in_array but I don't see an array in your code. Are you planning to eliminate the function and turn it into an array? Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking, that seems like a move in the right direction.
    Sorry about misunderstanding I am new and even not completely aware with technical terms for every aspects in PHP and MySQL.

get_option: This is the function where I need to pass the index key and it will retrieve the value

So what exactly I am doing that I am creating 5-6 check boxes. Consider 5-6 input elements but not in group and each storing value with own key let's say home, about, contact, portfolio.

Now here I have few pages like home, about, contact, portfolio, where I want to display one HTML element ( this will be the same on every page ) if check-box is on for that page

Or consider Sidebar which is includes in the template now I want to display sidebar on the pages where check-box is on. If checkbox is on for Home, Contact and Portfolio than it will display on those pages and rest pages will not display sidebar.

I also want reverse where if checkbox is on it will hide the sidebar

I hope this will helps to understand.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You probably need to post 'get_option'. If it is returning a value, then checking it for 'true' will not always work. Is 'get_option' trying to return if a particular box is checked? Triple_nothing offered a number of tips you need to consider in your code.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  11. No Profile Picture

You probably need to post 'get_option'. If it is returning a value, then checking it for 'true' will not always work. Is 'get_option' trying to return if a particular box is checked? Triple_nothing offered a number of tips you need to consider in your code.
    I can get it work with simply using

PHP Code:
    if (get_option('key')){
    //this will display code if it is true

OR
    PHP Code:
    if (get_option('key') == true){
    //this will display code if it is true

Both of the codes above works fine.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, in that manner, the code below will also run, because it evaluates the if() as true, simply because it exists and holds a value.

PHP Code:
    $var "something";
    if(
    $var) {

// Execute this code...

This will evaluate to false, simply because it doesn't exist, or is NULL

PHP Code:
    if($var2) {

// Some code

This WILL run, because $var3 DOES exists, and hold a value. Granted the value may not be of visual type, it is like a piece of paper. Blank paper is a value, no paper is NULL.
    PHP Code:
    $var3 "";
    if(
    $var3) [

// More code...

15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Triple_Nothing
    Well, in that manner, the code below will also run, because it evaluates the if() as true, simply because it exists and holds a value.

PHP Code:
    $var "something";
    if(
    $var) {

// Execute this code...

This will evaluate to false, simply because it doesn't exist, or is NULL

PHP Code:
    if($var2) {

// Some code

This WILL run, because $var3 DOES exists, and hold a value. Granted the value may not be of visual type, it is like a piece of paper. Blank paper is a value, no paper is NULL.
    PHP Code:
    $var3 "";
    if(
    $var3) [

// More code...

But that this is what I don't want to do. I mean writing condition for every checkbox individually for the same code which is not efficient way and I believe there must be some other way to shorten the code.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Since you don't want to post 'get_option', for whatever reason, there is probably little we can do to help.
  19. No Profile Picture

Since you don't want to post 'get_option', for whatever reason, there is probably little we can do to help.
    No its not that I don't want to post but it is built in function and I can't get it from the system.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you using WordPress?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This should build your checkboxes into an array, and even if not checked, will still hold a value, FALSE if you wish...

Code:
    <input type="hidden" name="checkbox_name[]" value="unchecked_value" />
    <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox_name[]" value="checked_value" />
  25. No Profile Picture

Are you using WordPress?
    No it is not wordpress
  27. No Profile Picture

Okay I have done with simple effort just using condition with OR

PHP Code:
    if( !(get_option('key') || !(get_option('key')....)
    //my code.. 
    this works as I wanted.. but just there are almost 12 keys to check so I was thinking if anything which can optimize the code..

never mind thanks a lot for your help guyz. appreciated..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo