1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Printing Labels from PHP

Hi:

I am trying to print name badges from a MySQL database on a DYMO LabelWriter printer (form size: 2-7/16 x 4-3/16 in.) using a PHP report... Can this be done? I'm struggling with where to even begin...

Any thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Yes. See if this will get you started.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you're printing this on a printer connected to the SERVER you'll need what gw provided (I think).

If you're printing this on a printer connected to the CLIENT you just need to find the manual for the printer and see what the dimensions are for files/images to be printed to the printer so they show up properly.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just to clarify, if you are using PHP then obviously you are planning to this on the server. However, if from the client (that is why I was not as forward thinking as ManiacDan) then you would not use PHP at all. Instead you would probably use Javascript.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  9. Sarcky

I've made PHP websites for use internally within a company which printed barcodes and other information on zebra printers, and we ended up expanding that site to customers who would buy zebra printers to do the same thing. PHP generated the barcodes and all the data and whatnot, and the only thing JS was for was invoking the print dialog.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't want to hijack this thread but did you use Ajax to send the print data back or present a print page for the client to invoke?
  13. Sarcky

It was 10 years ago, so I may be incorrect, but I believe we base64_encode'd the image and stored it in a JS variable, which generated a popup with a print CSS and auto-invoked the print dialog.

I think.

15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks, everyone for all of your responses. You've certainly given me some great places to start.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo