1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP framework for web interface based on DB

Hi everyone,

I would like to get an advice from you.

I have a MySQL database with some tables and I want to create a web interface on it.
    In this web portal I want to manage:
    * user (access, policy, log)
    * security
    * action log
    * page based on DB (single table or retrieving data from more than one table)
    * static page
    Users can do CRUD actions.

Which PHP framework do you propose me? And why?

Thank you in advance at all.

Bye

Zipgem
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Write your own. It's the best way to learn.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi ManiacDan,

I have the possibility to create the portal from a scratch, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
    In particular I am looking for a framework that help me to manage (in a good way ):
    * user
    * security
    * DB and static page
    Learn new tool is not a problem.

Thank you for your response

Bye

Zipgem
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

WordPress can do most things? Drupal/Joomla (urgh!!) can too.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi paulh,

but Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal are CMS, not PHP Framework.
    I need to create an interface over a DB.
    They could do this?

Thanks

Zipgem
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

yes.. with wordpress you get CRUD, can create stuff from db (although bit more challenging from what google has told me) but it does most of the stuff for you so you only do the stuff it doesnt do.
  13. Sarcky

Symfony and Zend are two frameworks I recommend, though both are very complex. There are many reasons to reinvent the wheel, but the biggest reason is that you need a new kind of wheel. If you feel that the current technologies would have to be heavily altered to do exactly what you want, it's probably in your best interest to start from scratch so you get something which perfectly fits your needs.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    yes.. with wordpress you get CRUD, can create stuff from db (although bit more challenging from what google has told me) but it does most of the stuff for you so you only do the stuff it doesnt do.

Hi Paulh,

could you please tell me if there are some plugin for CRUD and security for Wordpress?

Bye

Zipgem
  17. Sarcky

Wordpress has built-in logins and security. But wordpress is not a framework, it's a CMS.

19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Wordpress has built-in logins and security. But wordpress is not a framework, it's a CMS.
    Hi ManiacDan,

but I saw that Wordpress could be integrated with some framework, like Yii.
    Is it a good way?
    I choose Wordpress because for our company web site we will start using Wordpress as CMS.

I would like to use a "framework" to take advantage of his functionality (like user and security management).
    I have always created my applications from the scratch, but in this moment I need to start using a framework (it is a request "from the top").
    An important point is that the application should be secure (user/group management) because data that it managed are sensible.
    For the moment I take a look only on Yii framework and I would like to know if there are other PHP frameworks that manage user and security in a better way.

Have you any suggestion?

Thank you for your support.

Bye

Zipgem
  21. No Profile Picture
    Dazed&Confused
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I have to agree with the sentiment that you're probably best off building your own.

The big frameworks out there, I've found, are monsters. I suppose at some point there's a benefit to them but so far I kind of see them as bloated dead weight.

On the other side of the spectrum you'll have the kind of CMS solutions also suggested--they'll give you your user administration, which is arguably the hardest piece you'd have. But here, too, there's a benefit to learning how to handle it yourself, rather than relying on a third party.

But I'll be the first to admit I'm biased. I believe in the right tools for the right jobs and that, in my experience, often means creating the tool on a per-job basis. Or at the very least learning enough that you COULD create the tool if you wanted. That knowledge is a prerequisite to knowing whether any third party solution is a good one or one filled with security holes and bad/inefficient practices.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo