Thread: Online Start Up

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up Online Start Up

Hey guys,
    I apologize in advance, I am fairly new to this whole server side web development. I have programmed static html pages with CSS layout and some javascript for a while now, but I'm looking to start a bigger online site.

I want to make it database driven, so my actual question is, of how to start. How should I start this page?

I want people to be able to sign up, make an account with email verification, and show some content only when logged in. I also want to dynamically generate the page, and to be able to manage user accounts and stuff people may want to generate on my page.

Is there any way you guys would do that? I started looking into php and mySQL development but it seems to me, that there are CMS out there which would be easier to use, than programming your own (drupal, etc)?

Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

A CMS would work assuming your business is compatible with the features of the CMS you choose.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Right, the basic rule when it comes to a CMS system is that they work pretty well if you let the CMS drive the way your business operates. If you try to make your business drive the way the CMS operates, you usually end up being worse off than if you had not used in the CMS in the first place.

Comments on this post

• dmittner agrees : That'd explain why I got so fed up with them that I've written my own...
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks!

alright thanks for your input! I'm starting with Drupal!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo