Index.php in a directory

hi,

I've got this setup as directory:

-root
    --includes
    --some files
    --index.php 1)
    etc.

So it all works like it should, if you only enter www.domain.com you get index.php 1) and when you enter www.domain.com/messages you get index.php 2).

But now my problem, when I type something like www.domain.com/messages/unknown_file.php I get index.php 1), but without css. Where could the problem be and is it solvable with php, like using the "define" function or something?
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

the configuration of your webserver is broken. Missing files are supposed to trigger a 404 error, not redirect to some other file.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ok, I always thought when you just type in something after the domain (www.domain.com/something) that you would be redirected to the index.php (or index.html etc.)
  7. --

Not really. You can do that (obviously), but it's just stupid. Imagine the user makes just a small typo somewhere in a long URL, or they use an obsolete URL. Then the server would throw away the whole URL and instead redirect to a completely different default page, leaving the user clueless about WTF just happened.

Show a 404 page and let the user decide what to do next.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  9. Contributing User

ok thanks, again
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Most PHP frameworks will route all requests for non-existent files to index.php using mod_rewrite (assuming you're using Apache). In that case, it's the responsibility of the framework rather than the web server to generate a 404 page when appropriate.

The fact that your CSS appears broken suggests to me that you are not actually being redirected, and that your index.php is using a relative path to its CSS file which does not load when you visit unknown_file.php because the URL is not relative to the root.

mod_rewrite can either do an actual redirect, in which case the URL would have changed to /index.php, or it can simple reroute the request to a different file, in which case the URL would still show unknown_file.php.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. Contributing User

ok thanks, I'll try to get this done...
  15. --

Originally Posted by derplumo
    ok thanks, I'll try to get this done...
    Um, do you even have a framework like CakePHP or Symfony? All code I've seen from you was plain PHP with no framework whatsoever.

17. Contributing User

I don't think I have hahaha
  19. No Profile Picture
    Dazed&Confused
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

He might not have a full framework but it sounds like he has the .htaccess file of one.

That or his webhost puts some really idiotic default behaviors into the vhost conf file.
  21. Contributing User

well, I'm now going to take a look at htaccess...
    Last edited by derplumo; July 8th, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
  23. Contributing User

ok, there is only something in it refering to an other subdomain... ok I don't know what to do now...
  25. No Profile Picture
    Dazed&Confused
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by derplumo
    ok, there is only something in it refering to an other subdomain... ok I don't know what to do now...
    If you don't see any rewriting being done in your .htaccess file then it must be at a lower level, in the vhost config file. If you don't maintain the server yourself, you might have to contact whoever does.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

you could always paste the contents of htaccess here?
  29. Contributing User

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    you could always paste the contents of htaccess here?
    Well the contents are for an other subdomain, so it doesn't apply for this one...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo