1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Basic question about web developing

This was the most popular forum so I posted here. I built a website about 10 years ago and did pretty well but stopped after a couple weeks and haven't attempted since. I am sure that there have been advances since then and am wondering what the most popular programming language is nowadays. From the looks of this forum, it is PHP. I created mine years back with HTML. Does HTML have certain limitations that PHP does not?

I can look up tutorials on my own, unless someone would like to recommend a really outstanding resource. I just want to know what language you guys think is the most efficient and vast with as little limitations as possible. Difficulty is not an obstacle either, I would rather be able make my website exactly the way I want to rather than to use something like Wix and have them basically build it for you. THANKS!
  3. No Profile Picture

Sorry I am trying to break my bad habit of asking things before reading about them. So tell me if I am right.

HTML is the text and fonts, images, videos etc. CSS is the look and style of a website, and PHP is all the plugins etc? So you pretty much need all of them right? Or would want to use all of them to have a nice website? Any other languages I should be aware of?
  5. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

gotta be the most analogies I've ever put into a post

Keep in mind that since you're asking here you're going to get the PHP viewpoint. Of web development. Activity on a forum is a good measure of a programming language's community but it won't tell you much about its effectiveness or utility.

PHP and HTML aren't even comparable like that. It's like asking whether water has limitations that cups do not. As in,
    * Water is great and serves many purposes. Very popular, but it's just water.
    * Can't live on water alone: need food to survive too. Mind you it's possible to go far on just water alone.
    * Cups can hold pretty much anything you want (that fits in a cup). Water sure, but you can also put in one coffee or tea or pens or use it to trap a bug or put it against a wall and listen to conversations or tons of other things.
    * If I have a lot of water to offer I can give it to a bunch of people by getting them to line up for a water fountain. And that works. But if I use cups then things go much more smoothly.

Other comments:
    - "Most popular" alone is not a good metric to base decisions about learning a new language. Japanese is a popular language but if I live in Europe then it wouldn't be as useful to learn as German or French.
    - There aren't too many "outstanding" resources for PHP. It's very mix-and-match. Books are more stable but not as accessible as the Internet.
    - PHP, C#.NET, Python, Perl, and in fact all programming languages are good at some things and bad at others. Pick the most appropriate one for your needs and skills.
    - PHP is an easier language to pick up than C# but with the drawback that it's too easy to learn to do things badly.

Originally Posted by Kimura410
    HTML is the text and fonts, images, videos etc. CSS is the look and style of a website, and PHP is all the plugins etc?
    Human body:
    - Skeleton is HTML because it gives structure and some semantic meaning
    - Organs are images and videos and other actual things
    - Eye color, hair style, and height (for example) are CSS fonts, colors, sizes, and other ways of customizing a thing within certain parameters
    - PHP is DNA because you can use it to create all of the above

Originally Posted by Kimura410
    So you pretty much need all of them right? Or would want to use all of them to have a nice website? Any other languages I should be aware of?
    You can get very far with Javascript nowadays, but I'll say "yes" anyways.
    You should be aware of everything related to web development if that's what you want to get into, but some knowledge and experience with other languages is good for variety: you can learn to cook a steak in any number of ways, but you won't be a chef unless you broaden your horizons.
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

don't ask for the most "popular" language, ask for the one that best suits your requirements and preferences. The most spoken language of the world is Mandarin. Does that mean we should all be using Mandarin now? Obviously not.

PHP is indeed the most "popular" web programming language right now. That doesn't mean it's good. And it certainly doesn't mean it's good for you. There are many other web languages out there like for example Ruby, Python and Perl. Try them out for a while, see how you like them and then choose your favorite. If you end up PHP again, that's fine. Because then you'll have a reason for using it instead of just doing what "everybody" does.

HTML and programming languages like PHP are two completely different topics. HTML is a description languages for web pages. It tells the browser how a certain page looks like. PHP, on the other hand, is a programming language. It's used to write executable programs. And as you might have guessed, those programs often run on a web server to generate HTML and allow for dynamic websites.

CSS is indeed for definining the looks of a web page. And there's JavaScript, which runs in the browser and can be used to change the page dynamically, react to mouse clicks etc. There are several other languages which will become revelant when you do more advanced stuff.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  9. No Profile Picture

Wow thanks a lot guys, you both provided me with some really detailed explanations. I'll take your advice and experiment with a variety of languages and see which fit the best based on my needs.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo