1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

What is the latest development with regards to web development/php

Hi,

I just have core html5/css/jquery & of course PHP skills. I was wondering what are the latest technologies in these areas that I should learn as an example:

1. Javascript => node.js? should i really bother, or is there a better "thing" that I can learn
    2. CSS => SASS/LESS etc?
    3. PHP => not sure if there has been any new development apart from frameworks (which I know CI), templating engines? I guess i should learn these & patterns.. anything else?

The idea is that I would like to learn the "newest" thing and not something taht has been here for ages otherwise i would have to learn the newest thing anyway...
  3. Web Developer/Musician
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    Hi,

I just have core html5/css/jquery & of course PHP skills. I was wondering what are the latest technologies in these areas that I should learn as an example:

1. Javascript => node.js? should i really bother, or is there a better "thing" that I can learn
    2. CSS => SASS/LESS etc?
    3. PHP => not sure if there has been any new development apart from frameworks (which I know CI), templating engines? I guess i should learn these & patterns.. anything else?

The idea is that I would like to learn the "newest" thing and not something taht has been here for ages otherwise i would have to learn the newest thing anyway...
    Node is definitely hot right now. Javascript frameworks like backbone.js for single page apps is pretty popular. javascript widget frameworks are now in wide use and PHP has a number of new language features that are nice. Obviously HTML5 for mobile is making a pretty big splash. Check out tools like Phonegap and Titanium and the soon to be introduced Tidekit for that. It's also good to know the CSS and HTML tricks used for web sites that must cater to both desktop and mobile. Websockets and HTML5 video and audio are recent new features that are beginning to see wide use.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

cheers for that. I realise I need to expand my skills set a bit as I am lagging way behind. I have looked at phonegap but it is very bad in terms of dynamic sites. It is ok for static sites. (from my experience anyway!) but i was using it with Jquery mobile and i think that was the problem not phone gap.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

All there are useful for the development of the website . And they are inter related to each other .
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Here's my totally unqualified opinion on the matter:

MVC is dead, or atleast it should be discarded for a new design pattern. If you desire php, and realize that its true power lies on the backend, you can begin creating web2.0 php application.

Basically, php becomes an API endpoint:

view (html/js) <--> JSON <--> controller(PHP)

Obviously, you have two options for the front end in such a setup you can use Angular.js, or you can roll your own with jQuery.

here's an example of a website i just built with this experimental design pattern. This simple 1 page app is a cryptocurrency fundraiser for a hopeful startup. There is no url parsing here, but if you would prefer to build the site without angular.js , you could user purl.js to parse url's for your application. I have a prototype built, but unfortunately it belongs to the company i built it for.

Bityay -- Coinvoting

Earlier today, i began the inital work of taking this idea i've been experimenting with and creating a framework for this design pattern. I have written most of the code already, but it was quick and dirty so to speak, and wasn't 100% restful. I should have the first release up in a week or two at most.

https://github.com/r3wt/users/
    Last edited by r3wt; August 14th, 2014 at 02:29 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo