1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Is CodeIgniter dying? Seeking New Owner for CodeIgniter.

This is sad.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

many software projects have changed owners. That doesn't mean the project is dead. Even if EllisLab doesn't find an "official" successor, CodeIgniter could still live on as a fork.

Personally, however, I've been rather disappointed by the code I've seen. CodeIgniter may be great to use, but there's a lot of legacy stuff, security issues and bad practices behind the scenes. I think it's no match for modern frameworks like Symfony.

So this may indeed be a good opportunity for moving on.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

many software projects have changed owners. That doesn't mean the project is dead. Even if EllisLab doesn't find an "official" successor, CodeIgniter could still live on as a fork.

Personally, however, I've been rather disappointed by the code I've seen. CodeIgniter may be great to use, but there's a lot of legacy stuff, security issues and bad practices behind the scenes. I think it's no match for modern frameworks like Symfony.

So this may indeed be a good opportunity for moving on.
    What would be the benefit for someone to invest in this? And how much would they need to put down? They have a lot of upgrating to do.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

you say CI is dead but you are still using it? upgrade to either Laravel or FUELPHP, they are "upgrade" of CI and are awesome!
  9. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    you say CI is dead but you are still using it? upgrade to either Laravel or FUELPHP, they are "upgrade" of CI and are awesome!
    Hey paulah1983

Please think a little better

I read that article 2 days ago.

Currently I have done +40 sites for clients and all are running under CI. I can't instantly stop using CI. Uness there is a magic button that I click and changes everything to Zend.

Definitly will check Fuel as soon as I get a chance. This has been the busiest time of year.

Thanks
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

i know, I know. but you were considering moving from CI long time ago if i remember correctly and even if you have at least ONE site it will be hard but at no time have i seen you mention moving to alternative, it was more an inquiring question

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo