1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Generating a link to SQL information

Okay once again; sorry if I fail to make myself clear but I am new to SQL and I am still learning..

So if I make a SQL table with profiles of users who use my website, I want other people to be able to see their profiles.

If I check the link to my own profile on this forum, it's this:

domain.com/member.php?u=481940

As far I understand it, the "u" is a variable(???) that I use to search for a profile while the 481940 is the primary key of my account in the table (???). Now how can I create a similair system?

So in example:
    mywebsite.com/profile.php?u=Player

would lead to the account of the player.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

it's actually very simple. The "u=..." stuff after the question mark is indeed a parameter. In PHP, you can retrieve the value of the parameter with

PHP Code:
    $_GET['u'
    This value can then be used in a database query.

Check out this tutorial on PDO which explains how to do this securely. Note that you cannot simply insert the variable into the query string, because then any visitor would be able to manipulate the query and access the database directly.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture

So in fact I can do it like this:

"anypage.php?u=SomethingHere"

Then at anypage.php I will process the "u"?
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Yes. You specify any number of parameters in the URL.

For example, my URL currently says

Code:
    http://forums.devshed.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2907876
    So there's three parameters: do, noquote and p. This tells the current script what to do.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you! I tried it on a page without the queries and it seems to work so far! I guess I can figure out the rest myself. Thanks a lot!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo