1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Appserver and Web Server Functionality

I am not very clear about the difference between the application server and web server. I have been searching around google to find the information but only ended Wikipedia and see die different of many application server. I am interested in PHP application server and do not find it clear about zend server and appserver.io Would be great if someone in this forums give me the answer. My requirement is to support Cms for better performence.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

For PHP I think web-server is any server which can direct incoming requests to PHP scripts and execute these scripts and return results as response.

So each PHP script here works only from request to response.

Application Server is something usually written in the language itself and supporting continuous execution of some code - some long data processing, sending tons of mail to subscribers etc - which at the same time has some web-interface.

So for example application like this forum could use simple web-server, but twitter-like application or multiplayer game server could not. (of course they do not necessarily use application server - they could incorporate custom web-server inside application themselves)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo