1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.

Why the page keeps "loading" if the database configuration is wrong?

Hi;

Trying to connect to the database but the config file has the wrong details.

Why don't I just simply get a message "Cannot connect to database erver using config details provided"? You know? Like SQL fail.

Instead the page keeps loading for a few minutes until it finally gives me DB loader error.

Thanks
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Depends on what's wrong and what your connection code looks like. Without knowing that, who knows why it takes a while. A few possibilities are:

a) If the hostname is incorrect, then it make take some time for DNS to fail.
    b) If the port is incorrect, and a firewall is active and just dropping packets rather than rejecting them, it may take a while for the code to timeout trying to connect
    c) If the code attempts to retry connecting rather than just fail right away, it may take some time to fail, especially if this is combined with the above.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Right, it's probably a timeout when trying to do the initial connection.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo