1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Query string error: Undefined index: id

Hello experts,
    I am using a query string code. I want to "get" variable of one page to another page.
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $konek 
    mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die("Cannot connect to server");
    mysql_select_db("test",$konek) or die("Cannot connect to the database");
    $query mysql_query("select * from persons where id='1'");
    $row mysql_fetch_array($query);
    $q$row['details'];
    ?>

<a href='query_1.php?id=" . $q . "'>aa</a>
    query_1.php

PHP Code:
    <?php
    //$ab=1;

//if(isset($_GET['id'])) 
    $ab$_GET['id'];
    echo 
    $ab;
    ?>

The above code does not run and give error:

Notice: Undefined index: id

I am not geting what i am missing.
    So, can some help me out wid my mistake....
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

the error message is pretty straightforward, don't you think? The script did not receive any URL parameter named id. So the actual question is: Did this parameter ever exist? If yes, when did it get lost?

Note that your code generally has a lot of issues. The mysql_* functions you're using are long obsolete and will be removed in the near future. And stuffing raw values into an HTML string is a very bad idea, because this can easily lead to cross-site scripting vulnerabilities.

Check the two threads in my signature:

The 6 worst sins of security
    How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A get var should not be wrapped in quotes as you did.
  7. --

Originally Posted by jimmyg999
    A get var should not be wrapped in quotes as you did.
    Those are obviously the quotes of the href attribute and the PHP string.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  9. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

<a href='query_1.php?id=" . $q . "'>aa</a>

is wrong

He is trying to use $q outside of PHP
    Try this instead

PHP Code:
    <?php 
    $konek 
    mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die("Cannot connect to server"); 
    mysql_select_db("test",$konek) or die("Cannot connect to the database"); 
    $query mysql_query("select * from persons where id='1'"); 
    $row mysql_fetch_array($query); 
    $q$row['details']; 

echo 
    "<a href='query_1.php?id=" $q "'>aa</a>";

?>
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by badger_fruit

is wrong

He is trying to use $q outside of PHP
    Try this instead
    Good catch!

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees
  13. Confused badger

I'm not sure what J1's disagreeing with (perhaps he's posting now?) but that is a problem that needed to be addressed (apart from the rest of his very valid points).

To the OP, if you add in various places in $query_1.php the following:

print_r ( $_GET );

You might see why it gets lost; although in the example code you provided, I copy/pasted that onto my server and it all worked OK
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  15. --

The a stuff is obviously a snippet of a larger piece of PHP code. It's rather unlikely that somebody would write down half of a PHP string into the HTML section. He probably just forgot to copy the whole statement.

This assumption also doesn't fit to the error message. A <a href='query_1.php?id=" . $q . "'>aa</a> is a perfectly valid anchor with the id parameter

Code:
    " . $q . "
    So there would be no index error.

Let's wait until we get the feedback from the OP.

17. Confused badger

Hi Jaques, very true but we can only go on what the OP provided ... who knows, this *might* be the whole code ... you're right though in that $_GET['id'] would still be passed to query_1.php so there's probably something else that the OP didn't provide in that file which is unsetting it.
    - George Orwell, 1984
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by badger_fruit
    you're right though in that $_GET['id'] would still be passed to query_1.php
    No it won't!

the op said
    Originally Posted by op
    outside of php tags, so no php substitution will take place. The text exactly as written will be the link, and the query string will be
    Code:
    id=" . $q . "
    so $_GET['id'] will be ".$q." which I doubt will find anything in the database.

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : That was ... totally useless.
  21. --

*sigh*

Sometimes it might be helpful to read the whole text and not just the first sentence you stumbled upon.

Originally Posted by BarryG
    so no php substitution will take place.
    Wow, we never knew that you need PHP tags to run PHP code! Thanks so much for pointing it out. It also makes so much sense to explain this to badger_fruit who brought up this very point 12 hours ago.

The text exactly as written will be the link, and the query string will be
    Code:
    id=" . $q . "
    That sounds oddly familiar. Wait, didn't I say the same thing in #8?

so $_GET['id'] will be ".$q." which I doubt will find anything in the database.
    Um, have you even read the OP's question?

23. No Profile Picture

Well..., the code works perfectly fine in Query1.php page. But if i would nt have pasted my link
    i.e echo "<a href='query_1.php?id=" . $a . "'>aa</a>";

inspite only :

echo "<a href='query_1.php?id=" . $a . "'></a>";

so how will i get the $a on my next page which is query_1.php page:

PHP Code:
    <?php 

if(isset($_GET['id']))  
    $ab$_GET['id']; 
    echo 
    $ab
    ?>

I want to echo $a of Query1.php page on query_1.php page.
    I tried with the code above. I am stuck what i am missing.
  25. Confused badger

jackgoody, I am very confused by your post.
    The A HREF you posted now would send the value of $a to "edit_last_follow.php" page and not "query_1.php" ...

The only thing that I can think of is that in "query_1.php", you should add these lines RIGHT AFTER THE OPENING <?php tags ...

PHP Code:
    echo "<pre>";
    print_r $_GET );
    echo 
    "</pre>"
    Please post back when you've done that and tell us what you see on your screen.
    Thank you.
    - George Orwell, 1984
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Would there be an issue with no parenthesis? Try adding:
    PHP Code:
    <?php  

if(isset($_GET['id'])) {   

$ab$_GET['id'];  
        echo 
    '$ab = ' $ab;
      }  
    ?>
    He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
  29. Confused badger

No curly brackets would mean the script would only execute the next line as part of the condition. Perhaps if he simply removed the if isset (or at least commented it out) then the assignment will always happen, regardless of if $_GET['id'] is set
    - George Orwell, 1984

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo