Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is it still advisable to read php books?

Hi, I watched a video from youtube that tells that reading a php book nowadays is a waste of time because the technology is rapidly changing. Is this true? If yes, where can I find a good reference besides php.net, stackoverflow and w3schools? If not, can you suggest a good book for php? especially to the newbie like me?

PS: I prefer reading books that is why I'm asking. thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Happy to hear that there is at least ONE newbie attempting to learn php from a book. So many posters here and in other forums who appear to never have a thought of using a book.

As for the speed of technology growth - reading a php book will be a great start to your php development. I strongly agree with your desire to learn from a book - it CAN'T hurt. The background that it will give will allow you to move forward with many other resources fluently and quickly where you can then learn to avoid some of the older things that are not in tune with the current mindset of php programming, such as "magic_quotes", "MySQL_* fuctions", "register_globals", etc.

Go for it!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

For a very newbie, I recommend the In Easy Steps.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jimmyg999
    Happy to hear that there is at least ONE newbie attempting to learn php from a book. So many posters here and in other forums who appear to never have a thought of using a book.

As for the speed of technology growth - reading a php book will be a great start to your php development. I strongly agree with your desire to learn from a book - it CAN'T hurt. The background that it will give will allow you to move forward with many other resources fluently and quickly where you can then learn to avoid some of the older things that are not in tune with the current mindset of php programming, such as "magic_quotes", "MySQL_* fuctions", "register_globals", etc.

Go for it!
    thanks for the advice! do you know a good book to read?

Originally Posted by NotionCommotion
    For a very newbie, I recommend the In Easy Steps.
    thanks! This looks nice
  9. No Profile Picture

From my experience it is easy to learn php by doing practive on it. If you have basic idea about php programming then you should try to make some programmes. To remain update about latest PHP update you should join community like Devshed.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DenniesBright
    From my experience it is easy to learn php by doing practive on it. If you have basic idea about php programming then you should try to make some programmes. To remain update about latest PHP update you should join community like Devshed.
    Hi what are other uses of PHP? I can only make a simple login/registration form for now,
  13. Web Developer/Musician

It should be a newer book. Security is the biggest issue with picking a book Older books might not cover OOP in PHP as much but you can pick that up pretty easily with other material. The biggest danger is that the book you get might lead you down a path of bad security practices. In particular with handling user data and SQL queries.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Hammer65
    It should be a newer book. Security is the biggest issue with picking a book Older books might not cover OOP in PHP as much but you can pick that up pretty easily with other material. The biggest danger is that the book you get might lead you down a path of bad security practices. In particular with handling user data and SQL queries.
    Hi, I'am always curious about this. Where does developers get updated security information?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by firefloss
    Hi, I'am always curious about this. Where does developers get updated security information?
    jacques1

Comments on this post

• Strider64 agrees
  19. Contributing User

I found that if you get the latest edition the PHP Book then you will be pretty well set; however, picking up a book that is 2-3 years old might cause you some minor problems. Anything older than 5 years I think you will be just learning stuff that you will have to forget and relearn to do it the proper way. This can cause a lot of headaches, confusion and bad habits that are hard to shake. When I started out I was searching the internet for tutorials, but thankfully I found forums such as devshed that have helpful members with vast knowledge that straighten me out. I finally found a book "PHP Advanced and Object-Oriented Programming" by Larry Ullman that has me advanced my PHP skills, but I come to forums to check out on the latest happenings in PHP. That's is something a book will never be able to do.
  21. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi, I watched a video from youtube that tells that reading a php book nowadays is a waste of time because the technology is rapidly changing.
    I wouldn't believe everything you see on YouTube.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  23. Web Developer/Musician

As already mentioned we have some members here who specialize in web application security, Start there and use a search engine to find additional sources.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I find a "small" book helps me quickly get the big picture, and then I use the PHP manual and forums like this one.
  27. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

This isn't really an easy question to answer. First, you should always keep an eye on the bug/issue tracker for the version of PHP you are using. The PHP community is usually very good at identifying and reporting issues that could cause security vulnerabilities. There are also organizations like OWASP who are dedicated to secure practices. But quite frankly, most developers get their information through trial-and-error and through peer review. By collaborating in communities like this, we all add our little pieces of knowledge to the collection and we're able to share and learn much faster than any of us could on our own. Ask a lot of questions. And read a lot of others. You'll learn to sift out what's good advice and what isn't.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  29. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the replies, I'm still thinking if I would get a book, what I'm doing now is watching youtube videos that are not over 1 year old, then supplementing them thru google search and php manual. am I doing fine?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo