1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I wanna build a website like elance

Hello everybody....I dont know exactly how to put this, but I want to build up a plan and to
    figure out what will it take me to make a website/platform like elance. If I would to make a list
    of all the parts(functional components,modules...i dont know what the correct term would be)
    that makes up a platform/website like elance, what would that list contain?
  3. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

This is a really strange question, one I am actually finding difficult to answer because it is so ambiguous.

What do you want your website to do?

We can't tell you what functions / modules / components make up any given website just by looking at the front-end (i.e. the bit we see in a browser), it's impossible!

If you're wondering how it works, I guess, and this is totally based on the fact I don't even know if I am looking at the right website or not (I google'd 'elance'), that it's a recruitment website. Employers post their job(s), add keywords, descriptions, locations, salary etc and then that's dropped into a database where candidates can perform searches and click "apply".

So, if I were to make a list of the parts on that website, it'd be something like:
    Employer job post
    Candidate search facility

In all seriousness though, if you're not even able to look at a website and make a list of things it does, then programming a secure, user-friendly and good looking site such as this Elance site yourself means that you're gonna have a bad time.

If you're asking what the actual PHP functions you're going to need to write then you really are never going to get an answer, not only because what does and does not go into a function is purely a personal choice, but how the hell are we supposed to know given we're not able to see the source code?!

I suppose, as the website is copyrighted and patented, you might be able to approach the Patent offices and get a copy of that but if you then decide to use their code/ideas you're also going to have a bad time ...

" 1999 - 2014 Elance, Inc. All Rights Reserved. U.S. Patents 7,069,242, 8,073,762 and 8,380,709"

So yeah, there's no point in asking this question as nobody can give you the answer. Look at the website, figure out for yourself what it does and then put fingers to keyboard and start writing some code!

Comments on this post

• NotionCommotion agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by simon87
    Hello everybody....I dont know exactly how to put this, but I want to build up a plan and to
    figure out what will it take me to make a website/platform like elance. If I would to make a list
    of all the parts(functional components,modules...i dont know what the correct term would be)
    that makes up a platform/website like elance, what would that list contain?
    Elance is a recruiting site for jobs (which you already know... lol). There are many ways of programming a clone but to make a live duplicate with better features that people will actually use will take a long time. You can do this a procedural way or the OOP way (recommended). If you are are going to do this the OOP way, then use a MVC model to set up everything.

Honestly, duplicated a successful site is not going to get you far unless you are doing this for a learning reason. You will shortly find out how pointless it is.. So try to come up with a new idea for recruitment (like allow users to enter contests to build up points so the recruiters will know who's the best programmer or not, etc...)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo