1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PDF library suggestions?

I'm debating two PDF libraries:

FPDF

and

TCPDF

Primary use: producing reports that include complex tables.

I've played with FPDF and made it do what I want, but there is also TCPDF which seemis to have good reviews.

I'm really not qualified to opine on the quality of the code contained in these classes.

While of course I'm interested in the solidity of the code and flaws that might make them friendly to hackers, this is an internal application that will never face the public or be on a server accessible to the public. But in general, I imagine that these types of design flaws tend to reflect on the overall quality of the code.

Any preferences? Are there any other PDF projects that I should consider?
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

I've primarily used TCPDF in the past, it's always been pretty solid for me. Writing the code to generate the PDF can get a bit tedious though.

Lately I've been using HTML-PDF to generate PDF's from HTML. You don't get as fine-grained control over the resulting PDF as you do with something like TCPDF but in general it's pretty good and it's much easier/quicker to develop for.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture

I have used both tcpdf and fpdf, personally I think both work in similar way but tcpdf is much better, their documentation is well written, also it is has very active team.

Comments on this post

• Arty Zifferelli agrees : Thanks, I was headed that way.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by robert4u
    I have used both tcpdf and fpdf, personally I think both work in similar way but tcpdf is much better, their documentation is well written, also it is has very active team.
    Thanks. The only thing I couldn't find (didn't look hard enough?) was a list of User Written Extensions / Solutions. FPDF has an interesting list of User Generated stuff, some better written than others, as is always the case - it's up to the developer (me) to vett the quality of that sort of thing...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo