1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

strtolower users input to log in or not strtolower to log in?

Do you change user's input before querying the database? Both for and create, retrieve. CRud.

What would be the right approach? Change user's email to lowercase and then run the query?

What realy happens between php and mysql when email is passed to mysql? Email@example.com, email@example.com.

Code:
    $sql = "SELECT jvzoo_cproditem, transaction_type, transaction_time, jvzoo_cprodtitle, email, id FROM transactions 
                                    WHERE
                                    email = ? 
                                    AND jvzoo_cproditem = ? 
                                    ORDER BY id DESC 
                                ";
                        $query_transactions = $CI->db->query($sql, array($email, $product));
    Thanks
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  5. A Change of Season
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Umm... I remember a few years ago Requinix saying save users input into the database exactly as it is and apply functions on display.

I might be wrong
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What happens depends on the data type of the column holding the data and on the collation of the column for text/character data types.

If you have used a text/character data type for the email column, the collation will determine if the comparison is case-sensitive or not and most commonly used collations are not case sensitive. If you have used a binary data type, the comparison will be case-sensitive.
  9. Lazy Moderator

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    Umm... I remember a few years ago Requinix saying save users input into the database exactly as it is and apply functions on display.
    Me and/or Jacques, yes. Things like email addresses can probably be safely lowercased, but I wouldn't - user typed in mixed case, user sees mixed case.

As long as you have a *_ci collation then the comparison will be case-insensitive and stuff will work.
  11. Banned (not really)

Good points. I think the key is making sure you're doing case-insensitive comparisons, obviously. Presenting the data just how the user typed it is a good point, too.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo