1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question How To Auto Change Dns ?

Programmers,

Is there a way where I can have my website visitors change their dns to my dns by clicking a link or being redirected to the auto change script page so they don't have to change it manually on their computers ?
    Look at it this way. Right this moment your browser is sending requests to your ISP's cache dns servers. Let us say you no longer want to use their cache dns no more but want to change it to my cache dns instead.
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

No. That's an OS setting, meaning it requires local software and generally administrator rights to change it. You can't just change it by clicking a button on some random website.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

As kicken explained, it's impossible. Let me tell it why - it would be a huge security flaw. Imagine that you visit any site and then your network settings get changed to anything site owner wants. Wouldn't be fun?
  7. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Actually, you can do this using fopen() on an output scookie:// stream to the user's browser. The "s" is important as it allows you to change environment variables securely. Most PHP programmers don't know this. For obvious reasons, I'm not going to list out the complete method here, but Google is your friend.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wow, sounds interesting. Does it work with all browsers and operating systems? Sounds like a huge security hole to me?
  11. Impoverished Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by phpmillion
    Wow, sounds interesting. Does it work with all browsers and operating systems? Sounds like a huge security hole to me?

Comments on this post

• Sepodati agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    Actually, you can do this using fopen() on an output scookie:// stream to the user's browser. The "s" is important as it allows you to change environment variables securely. Most PHP programmers don't know this. For obvious reasons, I'm not going to list out the complete method here, but Google is your friend.
    Ok Sedopati,

Let's build-up on your method.
    You go first. Give us enough clues how to proceed.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As kicken explained, it's impossible. Let me tell it why - it would be a huge security flaw. Imagine that you visit any site and then your network settings get changed to anything site owner wants. Wouldn't be fun?
    I actually agree. It would be a huge security flaw. Let me tell you here I got the notion from.
    Back in 2002, I was looking into becoming my alternate dns. That means, I'd give you a TLD under your brand name such as:

.phpmillion
    .kicken

So now, you can have kickken.kicken or phpmillion.kicken or mysite.phpmillion, etc. rather than kicken.com and phpmillion.com.
    Format: .brand.

Icann gives you:

.com
    .net
    .org

and the like. But you guys know all that.

The alternate dns were very eager to make it easy for you to switch over from the ICANN name space to their's. And so, they gave you link (if I remember correctly) which you clicked and your settings in your OS would change so that your OS now queries their name space dns and not your ISPs who is affiliates with ICANN.
    And that is why I was thinking, if a single link click can change your OS settings to query a different dns belonging to a different name space.
    Actually, I'm gonna research again on the alternate dns to see how they faired in the last decade.

You see how far I get into things ?
    I'll tell you what I was upto planning back then before I dropped-out for fear of getting sued.
    I was gonna run my own dns cache on the ICANN namespace and monitor which websites get heavy traffic.
    Let's say, it is phpmillion.com and kicken.com.
    Now, if I was a crook, I would signup to both these high traffick sites affililate program (pay per sale, pay per click, pay per impression, etc.).
    Then, when someone types "phpmillion.com" instead of my dns forwarding the user to there, it would forward to my referral link "phpmillion.com/affiliate-id/~uniqueideaman".
    That way, all phpmillion.com traffic land on my referral link. When visitors make purchases then I earn the commissions.
    And ofcourse, soon or later, I'd get caught. And sued.
    @Catacaustic, I maybe a new php student. But, I'm not all total inexperienced in security where hackers and crackers can easily take advantage of me:
    What To Look-out For When Running Your Own Public Proxy ?
    But thanks for your concern though. Keep it up.

You see, if I really want to. I can really become a crook without you even knowing it. But, I don't like dishonesty. And, I like to sleep at night without worrying the cops would knock on my door at 12:01am.
    And so, instead of hijacking phpmillion.com's traffic to "phpmillion.com/affiliate-id/~uniqueideaman", I'd thinkup a way how to influence people to use my TLD over .com.
    So, I'd be thinking something like this: phpmillion.c. That way, user is saved from typing the 2 final chars of the ".com" TLD.
    phpmillion.com won't have a problem with that. I'm not hijacking phpmillion.com traffic. But then again, some brands would argue I'm using similar naming thingY and so on.
    Some guys warned me that my dns might get spoofed and hackers mights change the dns records so users end-up on their phishing sites. At the end, the likes of phpmillion.com and kicken.com would come after my blood.
    And so, I quit the idea. That was BACK in 2002! How clever I was back then! 16yrs back, Catacaustic my friend.
    Also, someone told me that Microsoft tried something similar. They tried blocking some high traffic sites on their IE so when people type one url then they get forwarded to another that pays Microsoft. And that, there was a huge outcry and so Microsoft quit the idea. I was told, I'd face the same outcry. And so, I got discouraged. Not sure if what I heard about Microsoft was true or not or if I got the story not 100% correct here.
    But, I got the message that, when people want to go somewhere. I should help them get there and not to a competition or an affiliate/agent instead.
    But, did I stop my adventure here ? No.
    So, whatelse I cooked-up or dreamed-up ?
    I thought, I'll run my own alternate dns without any ".".
    So now, instead of kicken.com, people would simply type "kicken" and my dns servers would redirect people to kicken.com. But then I thought, what if people want to go to kicken.net ? And so, i ditched that idea. And again, this was around 2002 or 2004.
    And so, I dreamed-up another plan to make it easy for people to get to where they want but much easily.
    I thought I'd build my own web browser. This is where, you a user, would decide on the settings where you want to be redirected to. kicken.com or kicken.net or kicken.biz when you type "kicken" or the browser. But guess what ? Back then I did not know how to build a web browser.
    I still don't. But, I use a bot building tool to build .exe bots and the bots use the Chrome engine. That way, the web browser is built-in into the bots when we compile the bots. We don't have to write a single line of code to build the web browser. The compiler does that in the background.
    I learnt how to build the .exe bots back in 2011. And so, right now, I can build a web browser or bot (with the builtin browser) where you can set where you want to go. To which TLD. You can type "devshed" or simply "d" or "ds" and it would redirect you to devshed.com if you set it that way. Good idea ?
    Make life easier for your tool users.
    Anyway, I'm back to brainstorming.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I actually agree. It would be a huge security flaw. Let me tell you here I got the notion from.
    Back in 2002, I was looking into becoming my alternate dns. That means, I'd give you a TLD under your brand name such as:

.phpmillion
    .kicken

So now, you can have kickken.kicken or phpmillion.kicken or mysite.phpmillion, etc. rather than kicken.com and phpmillion.com.
    Format: .brand.

Icann gives you:

.com
    .net
    .org

and the like. But you guys know all that.

The alternate dns were very eager to make it easy for you to switch over from the ICANN name space to their's. And so, they gave you link (if I remember correctly) which you clicked and your settings in your OS would change so that your OS now queries their name space dns and not your ISPs who are affiliated with ICANN.
    And that is why I was thinking, if a single link click can change your OS settings to query a different dns belonging to a different name space then how-about go another step further and just put a javascript or whatever on the page so it auto changes the dns settings so users do not have to bother to click any link or button ?
    Actually, I'm gonna research again on the alternate dns to see how they faired in the last decade.

You see how far I get into things ?
    I'll tell you what I was upto planning back then before I dropped-out for fear of getting sued.
    I was gonna run my own dns cache on the ICANN namespace and monitor which websites get heavy traffic.
    Let's say, it is phpmillion.com and kicken.com.
    Now, if I was a crook, I would signup to both these high traffick sites affililate program (pay per sale, pay per click, pay per impression, etc.).
    Then, when someone types "phpmillion.com" instead of my dns forwarding the user to there, it would forward to my referral link "phpmillion.com/affiliate-id/~uniqueideaman".
    That way, all phpmillion.com traffic land on my referral link. When visitors make purchases then I earn the commissions.
    And ofcourse, soon or later, I'd get caught. And sued.
    @Catacaustic, I maybe a new php student. But, I'm not all total inexperienced in security where hackers and crackers can easily take advantage of me:
    What To Look-out For When Running Your Own Public Proxy ?
    But thanks for your concern though. Keep it up.

You see, if I really want to. I can really become a crook without you even knowing it. But, I don't like dishonesty. And, I like to sleep at night without worrying the cops would knock on my door at 12:01am.
    And so, instead of hijacking phpmillion.com's traffic to "phpmillion.com/affiliate-id/~uniqueideaman", I'd thinkup a way how to influence people to use my TLD over .com.
    So, I'd be thinking something like this: phpmillion.c. That way, user is saved from typing the 2 final chars of the ".com" TLD.
    phpmillion.com won't have a problem with that. I'm not hijacking phpmillion.com traffic. But then again, some brands would argue I'm using similar naming thingY and so on.
    Some guys warned me that my dns might get spoofed and hackers mights change the dns records so users end-up on their phishing sites. At the end, the likes of phpmillion.com and kicken.com would come after my blood.
    And so, I quit the idea. That was BACK in 2002! How clever I was back then! 16yrs back (and I was not even middle aged back then but a young man), Catacaustic my friend.
    Also, someone told me that Microsoft tried something similar. They tried blocking some high traffic sites on their IE so when people type one url then they get forwarded to another that pays Microsoft. And that, there was a huge outcry and so Microsoft quit the idea. I was told, I'd face the same outcry. And so, I got discouraged. Not sure if what I heard about Microsoft was true or not or if I got the story not 100% correct here.
    But, I got the message that, when people want to go somewhere. I should help them get there and not to a competition or an affiliate/agent instead.
    But, did I stop my adventure here ? No.
    So, whatelse I cooked-up or dreamed-up ?
    I thought, I'll run my own alternate dns without any ".".
    So now, instead of kicken.com, people would simply type "kicken" and my dns servers would redirect people to kicken.com. But then I thought, what if people want to go to kicken.net ? And so, I ditched that idea. Also, I was told, without the "." the dns system does not work as the BIND software and the like are designed to look for the DOT. Anyway, all this was around 2002 or 2004.
    And so, I dreamed-up another plan to make it easy for people to get to where they want but much easily.
    I thought I'd build my own web browser. This is where, you a user, would decide on the settings where you want to be redirected to. kicken.com or kicken.net or kicken.biz when you type "kicken" on the browser. But guess what ? Back then I did not know how to build a web browser.
    I still don't. But, I use a bot building tool to build .exe bots and the bots use the Chrome engine. That way, the web browser is built-in into the bots when we compile the bots. We don't have to write a single line of code to build the web browser. The compiler does that in the background.
    I learnt how to build the .exe bots back in 2011. And so, right now, I can build a web browser or bot (with the builtin browser) where you can set where you want to go. To which TLD. You can type "devshed" or simply "d" or "ds" and it would redirect you to devshed.com if you set it that way. Good idea ?
    Make life easier for your tool users.
    Anyway, I'm back to brainstorming. Brain storming to:

1. Make internet users get to websites easier; (compete with the web browsers and snatch their market)
    2. Make internet users find websites easier; (compete with the searchengines and snatch their market)
    3. Make internet users earn a living easier; (so they can quit their 9-5 jobs and stop wage slaving for others. So, their employers can find new competitions: Their former employees).
    4. Eradicate poverty so the rich no longer get richer at the expense of the poor and the poor no longer get poorer; (start an internet revolution).

Oh by the way, few yrs back. About half a dacade back (can't remember the yr), I thought I will build a web browser that shows you who else is on that webpage.
    So, if you go to phpmillion.com then you'd see icons of other users. Icons of their heads (faces). You'd also see a chat box for you to communicate with the website owner (even if the website is not hosting a chat box on their site) and you'd be able to chat with the visitors on the page by clicking their icons and seeing a chat box to chat with each. I was told that, Yahoo built something similar. Some browser extension or whatever.
    I don't know why I never pursued this venture. Maybe because I had not quite learnt how to build the bot/browser.
    But, what is stopping me now ? Actually, I'm too busy building a social network and web proxy that does these things. So you see, what I am upto nowadays with my "unique ideas" ? Stay tuned and see where I lead myself too. Just have to watchout and not get sued by anyone.

Btw, if you like my motto and the way I think (look above at the 4 things I mentioned in bold in the list), then make your voice heard by making a comment, friending me or PMing me.
    Not boasting, but I am adventurous and constantly thinking how to make it big online and make it big for the masses online. I've been in this spirit ever since 1998. But all this time, I was not a programmer or a technical guy. Just a person with great ideas. Now, things are gonna change. And, all THROUGH my OWN programming and THANKS to YOU GUYS helps.

@phpmillion, @kicken, @catacaustic, @benanamen, @requinix, (not bothered asking Sedopati, I know the kind of response I'll get from him, Lol!) what do you fellows think of my never giveup spirit to always be on the lookout to find a loophole to earn heavy traffic and heavy income online and help the masses to earn the same ?
    I'm thinking along the lines of Microsoft, Yahoo, etc. (if I'm not mistaken). You got to give me some credit. Therefore, always be on the lookout for my threads and try to guess what I'm upto. I'm like the little kids who never sleep or get tired of fiddling. Shall I change my Username to "php fiddler" ? Benanaman, since you're into tracing me on other forums, look-out for "php fiddler". Lol!
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; January 8th, 2018 at 11:39 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo