1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Missing PHP module

Hi,
    we have been developing an alternative (non-smtp) private mail system using PHP and JS. We use encryption (end-to-end, signing, etc) and we need to perform computations on arbitrary-precision numbers in PHP. Of course, there is the php_gmp module available and we use it, but we often receive signals from our users that this module is not installed in their hosting services.

The question is: do you know something about availability of php_gmp among various hosting services/providers?
    Is there maybe a tool or a statistical web page which show such information for various php modules?

BTW: for us, alternative modules (php_bcmath for example) are a too slow and we would like to avoid using them.

Thank you in advance,
    PrivMX WebMail, https://privmx.com
  3. Maddening Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't have numbers but I do know BC is more popular than GMP. I think BC is more common to see in Linux environments, even as a standalone utility.

You could use BC as a fallback. You can tell someone that GMP would be better, but if they can't control their setup then there's not really that much they can do about it.
  5. Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I used to work at one of the largest hosting providers in the industry, and none of our servers had GMP installed (all servers ran CentOS, if that makes any difference).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo