1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question Php And The Cloud

Folks,

How does php relate to the cloud ?
    In the olden days, we used to say "remote computer" or "remote server" but never the "cloud".
    What has really changed enough to change the words that dramatically ? Are they not the same thing ?

So you always had a choice to save files in your own hdd (home computer) or save it on a remote computer like a hired webserver or a hired vps or a hired dedicated server. There was no talk of the "cloud" here.
    Nowadays, when you intend to do the same it is being called "saving in the cloud" and no longer "saving on my website" or "saving on my remote server". Why is that ? What am I missing here ?
    So, nowadays they got the "cloud vpn" have they ? No more "remote vpn" ?

Also, what is the difference between the lan and the vpn ?
    Good questions, hey ?
    Nowadays php saves your work in the "cloud" does it ?

Dear me!

Anyway, currently reading this before dozing off:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeroNet

Related threads of mine:
    Questions on Running Your Own Public Vpn Server
    Re: Questions on Web Proxy Resources Like Vps or Dedicated Server
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; May 31st, 2018 at 05:41 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Folks,

What is the difference between ssh tunnel, vpn and ssl proxy ? Are they not all the same thing ?
    And, what is the difference between the internet and the cloud ?
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The "cloud" is marketing speak for "someone else's server farm". That's it. There's nothing more to it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    The "cloud" is marketing speak for "someone else's server farm". That's it. There's nothing more to it.
    Thanks Code Monkey!
    Don't forget my other thread:
    Re: Questions on Web proxy Resources Like Vps or Dedicated Server

9. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Fundamentally, sure, but there is more to it than that. Cloud is a marketing term, but the whole idea is that the service is just out there. It may be in one server farm or hundreds. It may move around, based on demand. It can be one server or hundreds, all started, stopped or moved as necessary. Just take a look at the vast amount of services something like AWS provides.

If you're thinking in terms of servers and not services, you've missed the boat.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    Fundamentally, sure, but there is more to it than that. Cloud is a marketing term, but the whole idea is that the service is just out there. It may be in one server farm or hundreds. It may move around, based on demand. It can be one server or hundreds, all started, stopped or moved as necessary. Just take a look at the vast amount of services something like AWS provides.

If you're thinking in terms of servers and not services, you've missed the boat.
    Better elaborate what you mean:
    I might suddenly give an interest in this whatever it is that you are thinking is too late for me.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo