1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Api Load Testing Results. Is This Normal? How Can I Improve It?

I finally got to the stage to do the load testing on the API endpoint.

Long story short, the main script that receives emails and inserts them into the database,
    works flawlessly with up to 2000 posts per minute.

When posts go over 2500, then the issues start. Queries mix up, timeouts and error rate goes up.

You can see the simulations here:

3000 posts per minute

10000 posts per minute

To make sure what the cause of errors is, I ran the same test with a simple script that doesn't have much DB interactions.

Just a basic connection and loading a couple views. The results were slightly better but not much different.

This app probably won't be receiving this much request at once anyways, however, I want to be prepared to scale just in case.

For example, I want to know how to queue the posts and don't miss any.

I am using transactions but still, when it hits over 2500 posts per minute, there are problems.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks
  3. Impoverished Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Your server was handling 600 requests per second. Is that not good enough?
  5. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by requinix
    Your server was handling 600 requests per second. Is that not good enough?

No, wait! One of us is missing the point. Me you or Rudy.

I set the test to send 3000 POST requests per minute, but look at all the 447 timeouts ==> timeouts <====

Aren't these failed requests?

Or as in 10000 requests per minute, it hits 50% error and it stops the test at 16 seconds. They don't make it to the database.https://loader.io/reports/238ac2f2f0...sponse_details

You say it holds up to 600 per second. That means 36000 requests in a minute. Meaning if I set the test to send me 36k in a minute, I should see them in the database.

Far from what it seems to respond to currently.

What am I missing? If it can handle 600 per minute, how come it fails with 10000 per minute?

Here is another test with 10000 per minute. It failes since it hits 50% error (1392 timeouts).

When I start the test, clicking through site, everything is very slow.

I wanna understand this, please.

Thank you

I am pretty sure server is not holding up. Maybe I should find a way to use queue system with Laravel? Or get a better server?

Server specs

Code:
    Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 Quad-Core
    WebServer: Apache
    centos: CentOs 7 - 64Bit
    ControlPanel: cPanel/ Web Host Manager - Fully Managed
    ServerSecure: Server Secure
    Fantastico: Softaculous
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 SDRAM
    HD1: 2 x SSD
    PrimaryDriveSize: 250 GB SSD
    PrimaryRAID: Software RAID 1
    HD2: Single SATA HDD (7,200 RPM)
    BackupDriveSize: 1 TB SATA HDD (7,200 RPM)
    HD3: No Additional Storage Array
    NVMe: No NVMe Storage
    GUARD: No Remote Backup Needed
    SERVERCHASSIS: Standard - Single PSU - No Hot Swap Bays
    DDOSProtection: Standard DDoS Attack Protection (up to 2gbps)
    Last edited by English Breakfast Tea; June 8th, 2018 at 07:58 PM.
  7. Impoverished Moderator

Ah, I was misreading the charts. Ugh.

The 3000 charts:
    The server handles up to 600 clients per second, which I interpret to mean active connections. At 600 everything plateaus and the timeouts begin. That's at a rate of about 50 new requests per second while the server responds with 30-40 responses per second. That's about 20 req/sec that are building up because they're not able to be handled fast enough. After 30 seconds that's 20*30=600 requests bogging down the server - which is where the 600 client/sec comes from. The timeouts start because the server can't accept any more connections as it's waiting for existing requests to be filled.

The 10000 charts:
    The server eventually handles ~1550 clients per second. There are about 170 req/sec and 40 responses per second. That's ~130 requests building up, and after 12 seconds hits its threshold of 130*11=1560.

Why is one 600 and the other 1550? I don't know. I wonder if the 600 is a database limit and 1550 a web server limit.

What you have to decide is how many requests per second you expect (a) on average and (b) in a burst of X seconds. Then a bit of math will tell you how many active connections you need to support and how fast responses must be. Like if you want an average 25 requests per second then you need a response time averaging 1/25 = 0.04 seconds because anything much more than that will mean requests will start building up and you'll eventually hit a connection limit and timeouts. If you want a burst of 200 over a 5 seconds then your server needs a connection pool that can handle 200 connections. They might not all be served in 0.04 seconds, but the client isn't timing out so it's okay because it's just a burst.

That's all for a single server, of course. With multiple servers and load balancing, the requirements are loosened a bit because there are more servers to distribute the traffic, but then you have to double check that your database(s) can handle everything.

It seems to me like the chart is saying each request takes a few seconds? That's not good. Or is it aggregate?
  9. A Change of Season

No one knows the answer to that question. This is an open marketing software that shows the timer on screen. Clients could send as many and load the timer from my database based on the records. They could do a product launch for a list of 1 million prospects.

I noticed the competition have 100,000 leads maximum. How many connections at once, I don't know.

The front end of sales pages etc, I have no idea what to do! I am talking to server people. There has to be a good solution. I mean there are sites with Billions of visits per month.

For backend where they send me leads in bulk, I might have to do this https://laravel.com/docs/5.6/queues
  11. Impoverished Moderator

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    No one knows the answer to that question.
    Then you have to come up with one. The only way to measure the performance of an application is using metrics, so if you don't have metrics then you need to make some. Otherwise how will you know it's good enough?

1 billion requests per month is ~400 requests per second. (Oh, by the way, that's a metric.) If you must support that then you need to hire people who understand how to design and work with distributed systems because you're not going to get one web server and one database server to support that.
  13. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

At some point, you simply have to scale out to more servers if you want to handle large amounts of traffic. You can only do so much with a single server, and trying to just build a bigger/better server isn't always the most economical option. That's why cloud based setups are so popular these days. You can get a strong server to host your database, then multiple smaller VPS's to handle the web traffic. With some providers you can even set things up so that during peak load times you can spin up extra VPS's to handle the extra traffic, then get rid of them after traffic dies down.

Without having access to your code (and since I know nothing about code igniter), it's hard to say whether you could make any improvements there to increase your load capability. Probably you could, but how hard would that be? Is it worth the effort? Can't say.

If you're currently running both your database and your website off the same server, the easiest way to try and increase your capacity is to get a separate database server. The server you host your database on should be fairly strong with plenty of memory so it can quickly and efficiently process queries. It should also be on a high-speed LAN along with your webservers rather than elsewhere on the internet. How strong you need to web server machines to be depends on if you want to try and handle everything with one, or spread the load across many.

I've never personally worked on something with a lot of traffic. We don't really track traffic that much, but running the last couple months of server access logs through a quick script seems to indicate we only get about 6 requests/second average, with the largest peak being 497 requests in a second. That's basically nothing compared to the big boys out there. For reasons unrelated to traffic, we are planning on moving from a single dedicated server to a dual VPS setup on Azure, with the database on a 4core/16gig vps and the web server on a 2core/4gig vps which from my testing should support our needs just fine, and if not it's simple to scale by either adding another web server or scaling them up to something stronger.

Creating a stable infrastructure that can handle high volume is complicated. That's why companies pay lots of people lots of money to do it.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  15. A Change of Season

The server was updated, now it works flawlessly with 10000 requests per minute. https://ldr.io/2HzL5GB

Updates and what they added:

oPcache : PHP: Introduction - Manual

php-fpm : https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/68Docs/PHP-FPM

1. update apache configuration in the Pre VirtualHost Include

2. moved onto PHP7.2

3. switched PHP handler to PHP-FPM

4. Included cache directives in the php.ini so that it was being utilized
    However, 20000 R/PM still times out. They said they can optimize more.

I am not sure about the cloud, I am using this which apparently is VERY powerful... or at least it's supposed to be https://www.liquidweb.com/products/dedicated/

Second, I am gonna break the system into 3 parts:

I am gonna move the API, members area and timers to separate locations. By locations, I mean somewhere they won't interfere with each other.

It maybe sub-domain? Kicken mentioned different database server? How about subdomain? Is sub-domain gonna be effective at all? Or if the site has tons of traffic, sub-domains get affected too?

Once I get CodeIgniter hello world to work 100% with 500 requests per second, then I get into optimizing the app's code. Tbh the app code is already super tiny and optimized. it has 1 query that builds the timer. I already took the timers under another account on MAMPP.

About Codeigniter, the main reason I picked Codeigniter is the speed and simplicty. It does outperform all other frameworks. It's simple.

Edit:

Once they say "this is as good as the server gets, then I tell them about separating database server from the server. I'll also suggest Kicken's
    You can get a strong server to host your database, then multiple smaller VPS's to handle the web traffic. With some providers, you can even set things up so that during peak load times you can spin up extra VPS's to handle the extra traffic, then get rid of them after traffic dies down.
    Last edited by English Breakfast Tea; June 9th, 2018 at 09:59 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo