Page 7 of 27 First ... 5678917 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Letting the client hash the password does have an impact on security: It completely voids the purpose of the hash. You're back to "good" ol' plaintext passwords: The user sends you a string, which you compare to the entry in your database. If both match, you let the user in, otherwise you don't. In other words, the hash now is the password. The hashing merely serves as a kind of "password generation" process -- and you cannot even tell if the JavaScript code was ever actually executed.

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding: You need the original password. You have to know it in order to hash it and compare the result with the hash in your database. You cannot leave the hashing to your user. If you do, this reduces the whole process to absurdity.

There's a golden rule of security: Don't roll your own. Don't invent your own security protocols, encryption algorithms or whatever. The reason is that as a layman (which we all are), you're guaranteed to make some stupid mistake somewhere. This client-side hashing is a good example for that: It may sound like a good idea at first. At least you wouldn't think it makes a big difference. But it completely breaks the whole process.

So whenever you find yourself fumbling with your own JavaScript security algorithms, stop right there. You're totally on the wrong track. When you got a problem, always look for the standard solution. In this case it's the already mentioned TLS protocol.

By the way, there is in fact a standard solution to the problem of always having to transmit the password: public-key authentication. The SSH protocol uses this, for example. However, it's currently not an options for stardard websites (and probably won't be for a long time). And it doesn't solve your actual problem, anyway.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks all for you answers

Will see how to use https
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi E-Oreo,

I must thank you for this very important login script, especially that it is the only most secure login code I have come across after along time searching the internet for a tutorial such as yours.

How I wish you could expand it further to user levels.

Thanks again and stay well.

Joseph
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Letting the client hash the password does have an impact on security: It completely voids the purpose of the hash.
    I undersand all you have said

But per example if I use wireshark in SMF 2.0.4 login I found(I changed my hash):
    user=metRo_&passwrd=&hash_passwrd=3eb4c56d121122b25e88cc0a11b0f123a6bcaa2

Is it insecure?
  9. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I think you completely misunderstood what I said.

I said that you must not do the hashing client-side. This is worse than sending the original password.

Sending the hashed password instead of the original password is no improvement in any way. The hash now is is the password. It is the secret used to authenticate the member -- which is the very definition of a password.

You see the problem? Let's say I've made up the password "secret123". Your login form transforms that into some hash "d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e" and sends the hash instead of the original password. This means that the hash is the actual password; the original string "secret123" is just some kind of "internal password". An attacker doesn't need to know this internal password, all he/she needs is the hash. Because that's what's used to authenticate at your server.

In other words, sending the hashed password in your system is exactly equivalent to sending the plaintext password in a classical system. It is in fact the plaintext password. The only difference is that it has been derived from the original password chosen by the user.

What's worse about your system is that your server will also store the original password or the hash (there's no difference). In other words, your database holds the plaintext passwords of your users. This is widely considered a gigantic security hole, because anybody with access to the database can see all passwords and (mis-)use them.

I don't even understand why you keep fumbling with the login system. Both E-Oreo and I have clearly said that the solution to your problem is encryption via SSL. This and nothing else will solve the problem of being able to read the network traffic.

You can hash or encrypt the password in any way you want -- when it's send through an unencrypted connection, anybody can fetch and use it.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

I want to include gallery.php as a default page which will have a link to the login page to access the members only page gallery_sec.php. And when user logs out should be redirected to the gallery page.

Here is what I have done so far. In the login.php, I changed to:

PHP Code:
               // Redirect the user to the private members-only page.

header("Location: gallery_sec.php");
                die(
    "Redirecting to: gallery_sec.php"); 
    In the gallery_sec.php:

PHP Code:
    <?php

// First we execute our common code to connection to the database and start the session

require("admin/common.php");

// At the top of the page we check to see whether the user is logged in or not

if(empty($_SESSION['user']))
        {

// If they are not, we redirect them to the login page.

header("Location: gallery.php");

// Remember that this die statement is absolutely critical.  Without it,
            // people can view your members-only content without logging in.

die("Redirecting to gallery.php");
        }

// Everything below this point in the file is secured by the login system

// We can display the user's username to them by reading it from the session array.  Remember that because
        // a username is user submitted content we must use htmlentities on it before displaying it to the user.
    ?>
    And on the login.php:

PHP Code:
    <?php

// First we execute our common code to connection to the database and start the session

require("admin/common.php");

// We remove the user's data from the session

unset($_SESSION['user']);

// We redirect them to the login page

header("Location: login.php");
        die(
    "Redirecting to: login.php");
    ?>
    Unfortunately, each time I open the browser the first page to load is still login.php instead of the gallery.php, which is also set to be a default index page in on the server. And again when I logout I am taken to the login page instead of the gallery.php.

I want to be taken to the login page only if i click a button on the gallery.php. In short I have two types of users: guest and registered.

I need help, please.

joseph
  13. No Profile Picture

I am using my login within an iframe and when login success it opens header tag in _top rather than in the iframe (which i want).
    Although I have just discovered that when the user types the wrong details the login shows _top also (which i don't want) so i have edited the code again and added 4 parts of code rather than using _top as original target for form

I would like to be able to do this so if the user types wrong login details it stays within the iframe if correct it opens the header _top i have tried inserting 4 bits of code which i thought may work but unsuccessful
    below is my Login.php code (the parts in bold are the code i thought may work i am fairly new to php and just experimenting

Can somebody help me please to get this working how i would like it to

PHP Code:
    <?php 

require("common.php"); 

// This variable will be used to re-display the user's username to them in the 
        // login form if they fail to enter the correct password.  It is initialized here 
        // to an empty value, which will be shown if the user has not submitted the form. 

$submitted_username '';

$errors '';
    Code:
    $poststring= ''; 
    PHP Code:
        // This if statement checks to determine whether the login form has been submitted 
        // If it has, then the login code is run, otherwise the form is displayed 

if(!empty($_POST)) 
        { 

// This query retreives the user's information from the database using 
            // their username. 

$query 
                SELECT 
                    id,
                    nivel, 
                    username, 
                    password, 
                    salt, 
                    email 
                FROM users 
                WHERE 
                    username = :username 
            "

// The parameter values 

$query_params = array( 

':username' => $_POST['username'
            ); 

try 
            { 

// Execute the query against the database 

$stmt $db->prepare($query); 

$result $stmt->execute($query_params); 
            } 
            catch(
    PDOException $ex
            { 

// Note: On a production website, you should not output $ex->getMessage(). 
                // It may provide an attacker with helpful information about your code.  

die("Failed to run query: " $ex->getMessage()); 
            } 

// This variable tells us whether the user has successfully logged in or not. 
            // We initialize it to false, assuming they have not. 
            // If we determine that they have entered the right details, then we switch it to true. 

$login_ok false;  

// Retrieve the user data from the database.  If $row is false, then the username 
            // they entered is not registered. 

$row $stmt->fetch(); 
            if(
    $row
            { 

// Using the password submitted by the user and the salt stored in the database, 
                // we now check to see whether the passwords match by hashing the submitted password 
                // and comparing it to the hashed version already stored in the database. 

$check_password hash('sha256'$_POST['password'] . $row['salt']); 
                for(
    $round 0$round 65536$round++) 
                { 

$check_password hash('sha256'$check_password $row['salt']); 
                } 

if(
    $check_password === $row['password']) 
                { 

// If they do, then we flip this to true 

$login_ok true
    Code:
    //Login ok so post target = _top
    	  $poststring= '_top';
    PHP Code:

} 

// If the user logged in successfully, then we send them to the private members-only page 
            // Otherwise, we display a login failed message and show the login form again 

if($login_ok
            { 

// Here I am preparing to store the $row array into the $_SESSION by 
                // removing the salt and password values from it.  Although $_SESSION is 
                // stored on the server-side, there is no reason to store sensitive values 
                // in it unless you have to.  Thus, it is best practice to remove these 
                // sensitive values first. 

unset($row['salt']); 
                unset(
    $row['password']); 

// This stores the user's data into the session at the index 'user'. 
                // We will check this index on the private members-only page to determine whether 
                // or not the user is logged in.  We can also use it to retrieve 
                // the user's details. 

$_SESSION['user'] = $row;  

// Redirect the user to the private members-only page and check user level.

if($_SESSION['user']['nivel'] == '1')  
              {  

header("Location: index.php");  
                    die(
    "Redirecting to: index.php");  
                } 
                 if(
    $_SESSION['user']['nivel'] == '2')  
              {  

header("Location: index2.php");  
                    die(
    "Redirecting to: index2.php");  
              }
            } 
            else 
            { 
    Code:
            //Login not successful so post target = _self
    			$poststring= '_self';
    PHP Code:
           // Tell the user they failed

$errors"Invalid Login Details"

// Show them their username again so all they have to do is enter a new 
                // password.  The use of htmlentities prevents XSS attacks.  You should 
                // always use htmlentities on user submitted values before displaying them 
                // to any users (including the user that submitted them).  For more information: 
                // (url) 

$submitted_username htmlentities($_POST['username'], ENT_QUOTES'UTF-8'); 
            } 
        } 

?> 

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "(url)">
    <html xmlns="(url)">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title>Login</title>
    <link href="../Css/login.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="centrepage">
    <div id="login">
      <form name="login" id="loginform" action="login.php" target=" 
    Code:
    <?php $poststring;?>(just get both within the iframe) Also tried <?php echo '$poststring'; (but just get both in a new tab)?> 
    PHP Code:
    " method="post">
      <p>
      Username<br />
      <input name="username" id="username" type="text" size="19" value="<?php echo $submitted_username?>"/>
        <br />
      Password<br />
        <input name="password" id="password" type="password" value="" size="20"/>
        </p>
      <div id="status" >

<?php echo  $errors;?>
      </div>
      <input type="submit" id="loginbtn" value="Login" />
      </form>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    Last edited by ricp24; March 19th, 2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: More Detail Added
  15. No Profile Picture

In my website I'm using a menu based in javascript. What I want to know is how to tun this code:

PHP Code:
    if(empty($_SESSION['user'])) 
      { 

header("Location: index.php"); 
          die(
    "Redirecting to index.php"); 
      } 
    every time the user click the button and change the div he is seeing.

Per example I enter the site and login. After I open the site in another tab. I logout in the first tab I still can navigate in the second tab while I don't open a page with the php code above.

thanks
  17. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Unfortunately, each time I open the browser the first page to load is still login.php instead of the gallery.php, which is also set to be a default index page in on the server. And again when I logout I am taken to the login page instead of the gallery.php.
    Are you typing the address to gallery.php and it's redirecting you to login.php? If that's the case then there must be some code running on gallery.php that is causing the redirect.

Did you update the logout page to return the user to gallery.php after they log out?

I would like to be able to do this so if the user types wrong login details it stays within the iframe if correct it opens the header _top i have tried inserting 4 bits of code which i thought may work but unsuccessful
    below is my Login.php code (the parts in bold are the code i thought may work i am fairly new to php and just experimenting
    There is a timing problem here. You have to define target before the user logs in; obviously, at that point you don't know whether or not they are going to be successful.

If you want to change the URL of the frame parent page after login you should use JavaScript to do it. You can place this on the login.php page, after they successfully log in. Setting it in the form tag won't work.

Per example I enter the site and login. After I open the site in another tab. I logout in the first tab I still can navigate in the second tab while I don't open a page with the php code above.
    You can only run PHP code when making a request to the server.

If you load your tab contents using AJAX, then you can put login checking code in whatever pages return the tab contents in response to the AJAX call. However, note that a header redirect in an AJAX call will not redirect the user's browser page; you have to use JavaScript to do that.

If you preload all of the tabs when the page is initially loaded, then the only way to do this would be to run an AJAX call to the server when they switch tabs just for the sole purpose of checking whether or not they are still logged in. If they are not, then you need to use JavaScript to redirect them back to the login page.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; March 19th, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  18. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    If you want to change the URL of the frame parent page after login you should use JavaScript to do it. You can place this on the login.php page, after they successfully log in. Setting it in the form tag won't work.
    Many thanks for your help I have done this using
    PHP Code:
       if($_SESSION['user']['nivel'] == '1')  
              {   
                  echo(
    "<script language=\"javascript\">"); 
                  echo(
    "top.location.href = \"index.php\";"); 
                  echo(
    "</script>");  
                    die(
    "Redirecting to: index.php");  
                } 
    if(
    $_SESSION['user']['nivel'] == '2')  
              {  
                  echo(
    "<script language=\"javascript\">"); 
                  echo(
    "top.location.href = \"index2.php\";"); 
                  echo(
    "</script>");  
                    die(
    "Redirecting to: index2.php");  
              }
            } 
    And works just how I wanted it to but the only problem now is just before it redirects to the page chosen by user level a white flash appears is there a way I can get rid of this?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Notice: Undefined index: firstname

Hi
    anyone have any idea why im getting Notice: Undefined index: firstname? what i've done was changed username to firstname shown below i also added firstname to users in my database any help would be great thanks.

original code from private.php:
    PHP Code:
    Hello <?php echo htmlentities($_SESSION['user']['username'], ENT_QUOTES'UTF-8'); ?>, secret content!<br />
    code with firstname:
    PHP Code:
    Hello <?php echo htmlentities($_SESSION['user']['firstname'], ENT_QUOTES'UTF-8'); ?>, secret content!<br />
  20. No Profile Picture

forgot password

Could someone add "forgot password" script?
  21. Sarcky

Originally Posted by YCPC55
    Hi
    anyone have any idea why im getting Notice: Undefined index: firstname? what i've done was changed username to firstname shown below i also added firstname to users in my database any help would be great thanks.

original code from private.php:
    PHP Code:
    Hello <?php echo htmlentities($_SESSION['user']['username'], ENT_QUOTES'UTF-8'); ?>, secret content!<br />
    code with firstname:
    PHP Code:
    Hello <?php echo htmlentities($_SESSION['user']['firstname'], ENT_QUOTES'UTF-8'); ?>, secret content!<br />
    Err...because the original code didn't include firstname? Did you add firstname to the session?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  22. Sarcky

Unnecessary conversation about RSA split and moved here. Move along.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  23. No Profile Picture

Issue with header redirect

E-Oreo,

Firstly, thank you for sharing this script with everyone, it's definitely helpful and appreciated! I'm experiencing an issue, which I don't know how to fix, and I hope you or anyone else on this forum might have an answer for. Given that common.php sets the session and header info, when I'm redirecting users from one page to another, I get an error "Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by..." and the reference is common.php on line 78.

I want login.php to be the first page which visitors see, with a "Register" link at the bottom of the form for anyone who's new to the website. Clicking on it would take them to register.php, which according to the script will then redirect them back to login.php.

I tried using header_remove(); between redirects, but that didn't help either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Page 7 of 27 First ... 5678917 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo