1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

automatic postrgresql startup?

is it possible to automatically start the postgresql postmaster when i boot up?
  3. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

All you need to do is place the postmaster startup command in whatever file is used for the boot up of the system.

I can't tell you anymore than that since you havent specified what system you are on, help us help you.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

sorry, I use linux (slackware 9.0 distribution). I run postgresql version 7.3.2.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

For Slackware, here is the quick easy answer: just put a line something like this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    Code:
    su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -o -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -s -l /usr/local/pgsql/data/serverlog"
    This is assuming the following:

1. the main user for the postgres daemon is 'postgres'. If yours is different, put that user in the 'su [username] -c position.

2. /etc/rc.d/rc.local is already there and already has the shell script header (#!/usr/bin/bash). If not, and you are creating the file for the first time, make sure that #!/usr/bin/bash is at the top of your file, and that the file is chmodded executable.

3. Of course correct for path if your binaries or log are different from the above

See PostgreSQL documentation, or the INSTALL file for more information about the pg_ctl startup options)
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo