1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't get Postgres to connect with pg_connect()

hey guys,
    I installed postgresql on my windows box and I'm trying to get it to connect with PHP.

here is where I'm at:

its installed properly - I created a db and tables using pgsql command line scripts, that works fine.

I un commented out the semi-colon ; in the php.ini file for the pgsql.dll extension

I restarted apache but I keep getting the following msg:

Warning: pg_connect() [function.pg-connect]: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (0x0000274D) Is the server running on host webdev and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? . in c:\www\pgsql\test.php on line 2

PHP Code:
    $db_handle pg_connect("host=webdev dbname=test user=jim password=test") or die("Couldn't Connect: ".pg_last_error()); 
    anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? I haven't been able to find anything on it
    ~jim~
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

postmaster has to be running with TCP/IP socket connections enabled. You can check what its startup options were with pg_ctl status I think, or you can un-comment that option in the postgresql.conf file now I don't know if this is all the same stuff in windows but I would imagine. I'd actually try to convince you to make your machine a dual boot with some distro of Linux so you can use postgres and related utilities more easily, but I suppose it is a matter of personal preference.

Also, at least with linux/unix you have to have configured php to --enable-pgsql or --with-pgsql to be allowed to use those functions. That doesn't seem to be the problem since the function at least returned with that error state.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

turned out to be a problem with the pg_hba.conf file

changed the host line and now I can connect just dandily

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo