1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Possible to make a crossed reference query?

I need to use a crossed reference query, just like in ms access. Is it possible to do that? How? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Is there a workaround on that?

Thanks to all.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Are you talking about "crosstab" presentation of your data? I'm not sure what you mean by "cross-reference".

You might want to read these threads in the PostgreSQL mail lists:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql...1/msg01127.php
    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql...1/msg00163.php

Really, this is most likely the kind of thing you handle on the application side, rather than in SQL. Remember, Access is not just a database system, but is also an application front-end, and that's where crosstab type stuff is usually done.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It's crosstab actually

You're right. Crosstab is the right word for what i'm looking for. I believe you're right about crosstab being more likely to be handled on the cliente side.

Even so, there's a function called crosstab() inside the postgres installed directories developes by Joe Conway that handles that. I couldn't get that working yet.

Despite that, i'm already considering that to be handled by my application rather than by the server. I'm now looking for a java class that does that.

I only thought this would be a topic discussed a little more deeply, once it's a very useful feature. I believed i would find more articles and stuff on this area over the internet.

Thanks a lot.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo