1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

help on Installation of PostgreSQL

hi everyone....i hope some kind soul out there can help me on this....i am currnetly an student attach to a company for training...my supervisor asked me to install this database(PostgreSQL) as he wants me to do some programming usin this database.He jus ask me to go download this from the site.i did as instructed but i don't know how to install and config it.,....i checked out on the site but these site are usually down or have briken links.....does anyone has a gd site on installation of the sql database????or does anyone know how to do it????pls post some ans......THANKS A MILLION,,,,,,i am so stress up with this as i am near the deadline of my assignment......pls help...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

relax!

try this lot (no promises though):

tar xzvf postgresql-<version>.tar.gz
    cd postgresql-<version>
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    adduser postgres
    mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
    chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
    su - postgres
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

to stop the server:
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg-ctl stop -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
    Little more than a playground for the bugs that live beneath us...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unhappy PostgreSQL

oh gosh....thanks for replying ghatzhat...u showed me some hope.,..i would like to ask u some questions..the codes u gave me are suppose to be paste at where????are u running a PostgreSQL as well???what do i still need to download inorder to get it working???can u pls explain to me what does PostgreSQL realli do???

as my nick applies,,,,,i am new to the programming worlds....pls be patient with me...thank u....
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you are as unfamiliar with this sort of stuff as you make out, your supervisor is either a) joking with you, or b) testing your research and investigation skills...

for a start, what OS are you running?
    Little more than a playground for the bugs that live beneath us...
  9. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Newbie83: Why wasn't this posted in the PostgreSQL forum?

Moved here from PHP forum...
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i am running a window 2000 os.
  13. Me likey breadsticks...
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Newbie83, please don't spam the forums for the same topic. There's like 3 threads in here by you with the same topic. Just be patient and if people can help you they will, spamming won't make them want to help you quicker.

If you're installing on win2000, try looking at this guide

Also, please delete your other threads on this topic.

HTH,
    -b
    PostgreSQL, it's what's for dinner...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello Newbie83,

I understand your urgency in seeking help, but please do not post multiple messages about the same question in the forums (heh, I see bcyde agress with me). Please go back and delete your other two posts seeking help, and we will help you here :

To start with, PostgreSQL is still mainly a Unix databse system. There are two ways to run PostgreSQL in Windows, but I would not recommend either of them for production environments (not yet... maybe soon):

1. Install the Cygwin Unix emulation package, which will allow your Windows system to emulate Unix, for installation of PostgreSQL. In fact, I believe Cygwin includes PostgreSQL installation by default.

2. Install one of the beta versions of PostgreSQL for Windows, such as Powergres or UltraSQL by PeerDirect.

For more information on both of these options, see here and here.

If you choose choice #1 above, PostgreSQL will run fine for development, testing, and learning, but will not perform as fast as PostgreSQL on Unix. If you choose #2 above, PostgreSQL will perform fine on Windows, but is not considered stable enough for production environments.

3. Personally, I would recommend a third option: get an inexpensive server with RedHat Linux, and choose PostgreSQL during the install process. Then, you can connect to PostgreSQL from any Windows environment, but the server will be running on Linux for better performance/stability. (there is an ODBC driver to connect your Windows application server with a PostgreSQL database server.)

But, of course, you would know all this if you had bothered to search this forum for "PostgreSQL and Windows". Many people have asked this question. Please take the time to search before asking questions in the future.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  17. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Go for UltraSQL, it works fine for me, you can use the ODBC driver and PHP with it.
    Also, try pgAdminII for a graphical admin tool.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

sorry guys....i have deleted my previous post...
    i have installed postgressql...now i need to install phppgadmin.....any advice on how to install it>>???thanks......sorry 4 any inconvience caused,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

the good thing about postgresql is the manual, which can help you along the way with just about everything you should need.

another good source is the o'reilly book practical postgresql which is available online through the authors at

http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook

Some of the moderators here have talked about using phppgadmin, but I don't find a need for it as yet. What kind of other aspects are there to this project? Are you required to come up with the design as well? Perhaps the best way to assure you don't take any wrong turns is to make sure you understand the problem without using graphical tools first. Do you have a basic understanding of SQL and what it is used for? For instance, why your problem would require a relational database in stead of something like Excel or Access? Do you need webpages to interact with the database?
  23. Me likey breadsticks...
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well phppgadmin shouldn't be hard to install at all if you have Postgres AND php running on your web server. Just extract the contents of the phppgadmin archive to a directory, make any necessary changes to the config file and head to the URL where you extracted phppgadmin.

If you were able to get Postgres up and running, phppgadmin should be a snap. If you have specific questions/problems. Also, if you end up having connection problems/errors with phppgadmin, make sure your postgres setup is accepting tcp connections (this can be switched on and off via your postgresql.conf file).

HTH,
    -b
    PostgreSQL, it's what's for dinner...
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok, ihave install postgresql and pgadmin already...and i started some simple programming for my supervisor to see but i am getting this error when i Internet Explorer to view my .php pg....

error:
    Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1: user "SYSTEM" does not exist

there is an Administrator in postgres in as superuser...

i am realli sorry,,,,,i am new and is struggling with this so pls be patient with me.....thanks a million....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo