1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Migrating PostgreSQL Database

My first post here, sorry, I'm not sure if this is the correct section. However, I need help or advice in this situation.

We have and old server running postgreSQL 7.4 and CentOS 4.4 (pretty old, its been up since about 2005) with its hard drive at about 3% free. We have a new server at hand (Ubuntu 12.04, PostgreSQL isn't installed yet) and I would like to ask your advice on how can we migrate the database with no downtime or minimal downtime if possible.

Any steps on how we can migrate safely and immediately?

Thank you in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I don't think there will be any easy answers here; this will involve dumping the data and loading it into the new server, and there will be downtime. About all you can do is get PostgreSQL installed on the new server, practice loading data onto it so you're versed in the process, and then actually do the big switchover.

The good news is, at such point as you're running a recent version of PostgreSQL, you'll be able to take advantage of features like streaming replication. Not only is that a good way to keep a current backup in case of server failure, it also makes migrating to a new server very simple. Not that it helps with the current trauma, but it's something to look forward to later.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo