1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

migration from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3

I've read on the documentation that

"the internal data storage format is subject to change between releases of PostgreSQL. This does not apply to different "patch levels", these always have compatible storage formats. For example, releases 7.0.1, 7.1.2, and 7.2 are not compatible, whereas 7.1.1 and 7.1.2 are"

Does this mean that copying the 'data' directory of a postgres server version 7.1.2 to another server installed with posgresql 7.1.3 and starting postmaster with the data directory pointed to the copied data' directory will work? I've already tried this and it worked but I want to be sure that no other problem will arise. I'm testing it right now and so far it seems to be ok. If anyone have tried this and encountered errors pls share your experience. thank you.

btw. I encountered an error when I tried to start postgresql 7.1.3 compiled with a different set of ./configure parameters. When I reconfigured with the same set of configure parameter as that of the 7.1.2 server it worked. The reason I want to upgrade is to fix the error related to version 7.1.2 which prevents me from dumping data.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What you are talking about *should* work, as far as I know. Don't do it without making a complete backup of your machine, though. The more standard way is to simply stop the postgres daemon, upgrade PostgreSQL, and then re-start the daemon, with the data dir in exactly the same place. Of course, remember that any instance of postgres start-up can point to a different data directory, if wanted.

I hope you are eventually planning to upgrade to a more recent version of PostgreSQL .
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo