0 down vote favorite

I'm doing a little application for the work and it includes a form. When the person using the form doesn't put a value in a data type "numeric" (lets say a PIN number) or even a date in one of my "date" Data Type fields (lets say his anniverssary), it returns me with the errors as follow:

Error Type Type d'erreur _Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)_ ERROR: invalid input syntax for type numeric: ""; Error while executing the query

Error Type Type d'erreur _Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)_ ERROR: syntax error at or near ")"; Error while executing the query

So it seems that when the person using the form enters nothing, it returns the string "empty" that is "". Why can't the numeric type and data type read that as a NULL entry? These fields are not mandatory and so I need to have them be sometimes blank.

How can I make it possible? Is their a way to keep using "numeric" and "date" type so that when the user enters nothing in those fields, the table fills with a blank case insted of giving me this error?

Here is my sql statement :

trsConn.EXECUTE "INSERT INTO ""TRS"".employeetbl ( "& _
"""firstName"", " & _
"""lastName"" , " & _
"""detContract"", " & _
"sle, " & _
"""posNumber"" "& _
") VALUES (" & _
"'" & Request.Form("empFirst") & "', " & _
"'" & Replace(Request.Form("empLast"), "'", "`") & "', " & _
"'" & Request.Form("dateContract") & "', " & _
"'" & Request.Form("sle") & "', " & _
"" & Request.Form("posNum") & ");"

(The posNum and dateContract are both respectivly of type "numeric" and "date"

Thanks so much for the help. Looking forward for hearing what you geniuses have to say.