Thread: Outer joins

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Outer joins

i have been reading that outer joins are supposed to be available in the 7.2 version of Postgresql? i still cant get the code to work...

it supposedly can handle the sql92 version of outer joins using (+) as the outer join clarifyer, but this is still not working after i upgraded my database to 7.2 JUST to get this funcionality

am i wrong about this being available ? please help...

Quote from http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-l...e.html#AEN3491

------
    Outer Joins
    We now support outer joins. The UNION/NOT IN workaround for outer joins is no longer required. We use the SQL92 outer join syntax.
  3. Contributing User

I believe that refers to merely using clause LEFT/RIGHT OUTER JOIN

Do you need that support for other than syntatic reasons?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i would just prefer the (+) version because i write java code, ALOT of it (like 400+ java tags with about 50+ massive queries) that nearly all use the (+) version of the outer join because the clients i wrote it for have all purchased Oracle licenses...

now for the smaller companies that can't afford Oracle but still want to use alot of my code, i wanted to offer them a Postgres database (to save the money) but still allow them to use the exact same code.... all i need to change out is the driver and database location... i have all their data converted to a postgres database, and most of the queries run fine... i am just having issues on the 50+ outer join queries (and these are not 1 outer join a piece, we are talking 7-9)...

also, they are not all outer join on tables... some are data specific in the where clause

it would just be nice if there was a STANDARD SQL that was used in all languages.... outer joins are so common in complex query building....

i have never tested the LEFT OUTER JOIN TABLE so and so in Oracle... if Postgres does not support the (+), i am hoping Oracle may support the worded version, and which case, i suppose i will convert... i am trying to avoid having to write seperate, custom queries for each client
  8. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

sweet... we have a few 9i's here, but i havent tested on them yet... i appreciate it

this will save me some trouble until i can find other means

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo