1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

postgresql-7.3.4 install woes!

Hi,

I am having a few problems installing postgresql-7.3.4:

When I run:
    [postgres@postgresql-7.3.4]$./configure --with-includes=/usr/local/apache/include/ --with-libraries=/usr/local/apache/lib --with-tcl --with-tclconfig=/usr/local/apache/lib --without-tk
    <snip>
    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating GNUmakefile
    config.status: creating src/Makefile.global
    config.status: creating src/include/pg_config.h
    config.status: src/include/pg_config.h is unchanged
    config.status: linking ./src/backend/port/tas/dummy.s to src/backend/port/tas.s
    config.status: linking ./src/backend/port/dynloader/freebsd.c to src/backend/port/dynloader.c
    config.status: linking ./src/backend/port/sysv_sema.c to src/backend/port/pg_sema.c
    config.status: linking ./src/backend/port/sysv_shmem.c to src/backend/port/pg_shmem.c
    config.status: linking ./src/backend/port/dynloader/freebsd.h to src/include/dynloader.h
    config.status: linking ./src/include/port/freebsd.h to src/include/pg_config_os.h
    config.status: linking ./src/makefiles/Makefile.freebsd to src/Makefile.port
    [postgres@postgresql-7.3.4]$

it seems to finish fine...

but then when I run gmake
    [postgres@postgresql-7.3.4]$gmake
    <snip>
    gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/shane/pkgs/postgresql-7.3.4/src/interfaces/libpgtcl'
    gcc -pipe -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations pgtclAppInit.o -L../../../src/interfaces/libpgtcl -lpgtcl -L../../../src/interfaces/libpq -lpq -L/usr/local/apache/lib -ltcl8.3 -lm -L/usr/local/apache/lib -R/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lz -lreadline -lcrypt -lcompat -lm -lutil -o pgtclsh
    /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -ltcl8.3
    gmake[3]: *** [pgtclsh] Error 1
    gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/shane/pkgs/postgresql-7.3.4/src/bin/pgtclsh'
    gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/shane/pkgs/postgresql-7.3.4/src/bin'
    gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/shane/pkgs/postgresql-7.3.4/src'
    gmake: *** [all] Error 2
    [postgres@postgresql-7.3.4]

tcl8.3 is installed and there is a folder in the /usr/local/apache/lib directory.

Has anybody got any ideas???
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

do you have read permissions on the library directory where the tcl8.3 thingie is at with the user you are running make with?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't know your system either but this:

--with-tclconfig=/usr/local/apache/lib
    looks fishy to me for some reason.

Also, the gcc command that is failing has -ltcl8.3 in it. You could try linking any other C program with this library, and if it fails you've got your problem isolated. You may have to add that library path or whatnot to your system library path variable.
  7. No Profile Picture

yeah, sure do. Think that the problem is that the library may not be recognised. Not too sure how to go about fixing that though. Prob should have said that I am working on a 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD box
  9. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Try --with-includes=/usr/local/apache --with-libraries=/usr/local/apache

Often, when specifying the path to something in Unix configuration, you don't specify the path with that object's name included. --with-tclconfig=/usr/local/apache/lib is fine, because that's where tcl config is, but "include" is not inside /usr/local/apache/include, it is in /usr/local/apache. (also, you never specify the trailing slash, as you did in --with-includes=/usr/local/apache/include/)

I'm not that familiar with TCL, but why would you install it inside /usr/local/apache anyway? Normally I believe FreeBSD defaults to /usr/local, and then distributes the libraries and includes inside /usr/local as per standard Unix hierarchy (see 'man hier'). This method automatically places your includes and libraries on the PATH, so you don't need to drive yourself crazy with configuration arguments.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  11. No Profile Picture

Sucess!!

Used:
    ./configure --with-includes=/usr/local/apache/include --with-libraries=/usr/local/apache/lib --with-tcl --with-tclconfig=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.2 --without-tk

and it worked fine.

TCL was not installed in /usr/local/apache but neowebscript is. In the initial setup Postgres needs to be congifured to use the neowebscript TCL. I fugured that I would try to force it to use the 8.2 library since I knew that it worked. Thought it would break everything horribly or it would work. Luckily it worked.

Thanks for the help!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo