1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can postgresql order by ebcdic

Hi

Can postgresql order by ebcdic instead of ascii
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not aware of a collation for EBCDIC -- as the old joke goes, its more like dealing with a substitution cypher than a character encoding (its funny, but I'm semi-serious).

I'd recommend migrating it to utf8 if possible, though I realize that's not always practical in some situations.

You could define your own collation, of course. That can be a royal pita, since EBCDIC isn't contiguous. (There are gaps between incremental values and letter assignments, so you have to manually assign each value.)
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by zxq9
    I'm not aware of a collation for EBCDIC -- as the old joke goes, its more like dealing with a substitution cypher than a character encoding (its funny, but I'm semi-serious).

I'd recommend migrating it to utf8 if possible, though I realize that's not always practical in some situations.

You could define your own collation, of course. That can be a royal pita, since EBCDIC isn't contiguous. (There are gaps between incremental values and letter assignments, so you have to manually assign each value.)
    Thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo