Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yes, PostgreSQL is closing in quickly on almost all the major features needed for an enterprise system. It looks like they are a version away from some of these. 7.4 will include replication/clustering, and a native Windows version, and it's already available as an alpha release (look under /dev in the FTP server).

Also, as regards the OLAP issue, there are actually some interesting OLAP-oriented tools already available in the /contrib section and at http://gborg.postgresql.org (data cube, PL/R, table cluster on index, etc...).

But, I will add a couple more missing items to Pabloj's list:

1. Nested transactions. At the moment any exception completely halts a transaction. If you are updating a million rows in a transaction by committing in small groups of 5000 (hey Mark ), this can be a real pain.

2. More capable procedural system. This is kind of hard to define easily. It's not the procedural language itself that I am talking about (although PL/PgSQL is kind of limited), but the ability for functions to interact with tables, views, and other functions is not as complete as Oracle's. This applies to all procedural languages you can use in PostgreSQL. The whole procedural system is missing such things as named parameters, passing by name, autonomous transactions, paramaterized cursors, and output parameters. These are areas I wouldn't say I am very knowledgeable on, but some Oracle experts assure me that PostgreSQL is way behind Oracle in procedural ability.

However, I am fairly sure that even these shortcomings will be dealt with quicker than anyone expects. I think the future looks good for PostgreSQL.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Just one more post to make this thread a wishlist:

- DBLinks like Oracle
  5. Me likey breadsticks...
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

There is a dblink in the contrib dir for postgres. I'm not sure if it works like (or as well) as Oracle but just a fyi in case that's what you're looking for pabloj. I've never used it myself, but when I've asked about attempting to query across databases that's what people have pointed me to.

-b
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster

Yes, download PostgreSQL source, look in /contrib/dblink. It's at version 0.5, but is well on the way .

Also, one simple hackish method some have used is to define Perl as an 'untrusted' procedural language (createlang plperlu), which means it has access to system networking, etc... and then use Perl's DBI module. Then, any Perl stored procedure can talk to other databases of any type, on any network. I imagine this also works with Python as a PL (or C, or Java, when it is available, for that matter).

(Actually, I'm not even sure you need Untrusted mode to handle network DB access with Perl)
    The real n-tier system:

9. No Profile Picture
    Artist, DB Geek, Spamkiller
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

One more opinion...

I did a lot of work with Oracle versions 7 through 8i, and I'm currently working on my first big Postgres project.

I find it compares very nicely to Oracle 7 in terms of features. On the one hand it doesn't have as many business-oriented features as Oracle 7 did, but on the other hand it has a whole lot more scientific features and is a lot more extensible and programmable (think functions in Perl, and so on).

It also seems to be more standards-compliant, which may or may not matter to you, depending on what you do and how many database systems you work with.

As far as performance goes, I can't really judge, since the hardware we ran Oracle 7 on back when was so much slower than the current standard for even cheap servers.

When comparing Postgres to Oracle it's nice to remember that a whole lot of large corporations are still running Oracle 7 (if it ain't broke...).

The MySQL-Postgres flamewar has been covered extensively elsewhere; my only comment would be that MySQL is available on most low-end shared-hosting plans, so a lot of people use it just because it's there.

One interesting thing for Postgres advocates to try would be making an easily-installed, self-(cron)-maintained, multi-user, web-app-friendly installation package for hosting providers.

Anyway, what I do miss is good graphical database design (and reverse-engineering) tools, though there are some products out there (CASE seems like an option).

For anything short of life-or-death (literally, as in human life) applications and Very Big Things I imagine I'll use Postgres in the future, and recommend it to people I work with. The price/performance ratio is just unbeatable ;-).

Just another two cents...
  11. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My problem with PostgreSQL is always the same, a lack of "packaging", sorry, but I'm not able (read I'm not a programmer) to compile reliably my own version, so no /contrib, no windows version (apart the nice UltraSQL beta) and many other things.
    I wonder why PostgreSQL developers do not put up a beefed up binary release with something like an "Oracle compatibility pack" (hierarchical queries, dblinks, procedural language out of the box ...) and other improvements that are needed for the "masses".
  13. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster

Originally posted by pabloj
    My problem with PostgreSQL is always the same, a lack of "packaging", sorry, but I'm not able (read I'm not a programmer) to compile reliably my own version, so no /contrib, no windows version (apart the nice UltraSQL beta) and many other things.
    I wonder why PostgreSQL developers do not put up a beefed up binary release with something like an "Oracle compatibility pack" (hierarchical queries, dblinks, procedural language out of the box ...) and other improvements that are needed for the "masses".
    Hey, that's a pretty good idea! You should submit that to the mailling lists; maybe the "Advocacy" list, or the "General" list.
    The real n-tier system:

15. Me likey breadsticks...
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Unfortunately the pg mailing lists just went down today due to a HD failure (at least that's what is says on their site). Once it comes back up though, that would be a good idea to send in.

-b
    PostgreSQL, it's what's for dinner...
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo