1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question PostgreSql On Windows

Dear Friends,

I am new to PostgreSql. I just installed it on my Windows98 Mach.

I am facing a strange phenomena. I created Vb app to insert a data into a simple table with only 2 fields an id and name . appended 500 records into it. It took 25 seconds . WHILE the same programe run from another win98 Mach took only 3 seconds.

The PostGreSql(7.2.1) in installed in the First mach 900 Mz, 256Mb Ram , ODBC . The network client is only P11 256 Mzwith 64 Mb Ram . Even the time taken for making the connection is high (23 seconds)on the installed Mach while the client took only 2 seconds.

I tried Various confg in the pg_confg.file but to no use. The Dsn in both the machines are same.

I hope some of you who are more experienced tell me what exactly is happening. (I believe the , when the programe is run on the Installed Mach it is writing to the disk immediately, while connected from the other mach may be writing in chunks.)

Thank you.
    suresh
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Re: PostgreSql On Windows

I know that exists an alpha version of Postgresql for Windows.

If your Win32 version is alpha, maybe strange events occurrs.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Re: Re: PostgreSql On Windows

Originally posted by daniel_baylon
    I know that exists an alpha version of Postgresql for Windows.

If your Win32 version is alpha, maybe strange events occurrs.
    No, Suresh is using PostgreSQL 7.2.1, which never had a windows native beta. This means that the Cygwin Unix emulation toolkit is installed. In other words, you can't expect good performance from PostgreSQL on Windows, using the old method. When version 8 of PostgreSQL is released, it should have a windows version. Until then, PostgreSQL on windows should be for development/testing only, and not for production, IMHO.

Anyway, Suresh, the problem you're having sounds familiar to me; I know others have had this problem. But, I don't know how to help analyze your problem without looking at both your postgresql.conf, pg_hba.conf and ODBC configuration.

Another thing you might do is attempt to use one of the beta versions of a native PostgreSQL for Windows mentioned here. You might want to try the UltraSQL version by PeerDirect. (See here also.)

Anyway, even if you stay with the Cygwin for PostgreSQL, why not upgrade to the latest version, 7.3.4? It has many advantages.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  7. No Profile Picture

Strange behaviour of PostgreSql

Hi everybody

Thank for the reply. I have presently upgraded to 7.3.3-1 version
    But I have found the cause of the problem I reported eirlier. It is the Norton Virus Scanner installed on the server machine, where Postgre was also installed. I unstalled Norton and It is working beutifully. I had noticed similar problem in a networked envir : even with MsAccess Database. Uninstalling Norton Increases the speed of Data manipulation.

Thanks
    With regards
    Suresh
  9. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Probably your antivirus was checking for viruses the datafiles in which PostgreSQL kept data (or an Access MDB). You should tell antivirus not to scan the datafiles directory.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo