1. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Cool PostgreSQL wins again!!!

This just in: PostgreSQL will be the official database system to handle the .ORG registry. It's official - ISOC has been approved as the organization who will take over control of .org from Verisign (it's about time... grumble) . ISOC will be using Afilias as the back-end provider. They are the ones who already run the .INFO registry, using PostgreSQL for the database, and they will do the same for .ORG.

And this is in spite of the fact that most organizations bidding for this domain specified Oracle as the DBMS of choice. Notice in the technical section of ISOC's proposal, if you search for the term "RDBMS", you will find all kinds of info about "Multiversion Concurrency", etc... actually, some pretty cool info. Even though this document itself doesn't specifically use the word "PostgreSQL" it is blindingly obvious what they are talking about. Plus, other sources verify the PostgreSQL involvement (I am fairly certain I posted some info about this bid a couple of months ago, but can't find it now)

So, we will see PostgreSQL get the mother of all real-world tests. I am fairly optimistic .
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Awesome news!!!

I did read that case study, and noticed that every other company was asking to use Oracle, as you said.

The company that was pushing Postgres blew the competition away with their ultra-detailed proposal. Anyone who needs to find a good case study to present to their boss should read that ISOC document, it's not only one of the most detailed proposals citing the advantages of Postgres, but it's also one of the most detailed proposals I've ever read.

Alot of the others who were pushing Oracle said alot, but their proposal came basically came down to, "well, it is Oracle."
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Good point, Striker.

This is a textbook case for an enterprise-level proposal, that we should all put in our "examples" folder.

"well, it is Oracle."
    LOL .
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo